fifteen

"kim sunwoo, can i talk to you?"

sunwoo had just returned with a filled water bottle when dr. jung ushered him to go out. confused, he rushed to put the bottle on the side table, sneaking a glance at shiho before letting dr. jung pulled him away.

"kim sunwoo, listen. i want you to tell me everything you know, without hiding anything, because this is important." the doctor held him by his shoulder, "do you notice something strange about im shiho, like her weird habit or something odd she did lately? does she have any problems at the moment?"

sunwoo thought back to the time when he witnessed her father harrassed her and the strangely cold way she talked of her own father. it doesn't need a genius to figure out that she was indeed having a family problem. he breathed out heavily, finding himself stuck between keeping her secret and telling the truth to the doctor.

"kim sunwoo, don't hide anything from me." dr. jung seemed to know his dilemma. "i suspect im shiho is taking sleeping pills illegally and if this continues, she might fall into depression. so we need to help her before that happens. you understand?"

sunwoo bit his lips in uncertainty. the weight of dr. jung's words was getting to him and he eventually gave in. "fine. once, i saw her father slapped her because she didn't get a perfect score in a test. it was kinda sick, in my opinion, because it's not like she did bad in the test, she just lacked a few points and yet, he—" he couldn't continue his words for the guilt of breaking his promise was eating him inside. "anyway, i think her relationship with her father is not good." he summarised quickly.

"anything else? does she have any problem with her friends at school?"

"doc, im shiho is the school's perfect girl. everyone likes and adores her. well, there are some people who are jealous of her but most of them look up to her like she is some sort of angel." sunwoo stated as a matter of fact, "it is unlikely for her to have problems at school."

dr. jung nodded and hummed in thought. "i understand. thanks for telling the truth. i know this is shocking for you, but don't worry, it is still not too late to help shiho. your girlfriend will be fine, trust me."

again with the girlfriend thing. "doc, she is—" sunwoo was cut off by the sound of ringing and dr. jung swiftly excused himself to answer his phone call.

annoyed, he sighed and turned away, walking back towards shiho's hospital bed.

"you don't need to accompany me, kim sunwoo."

sunwoo stopped in his track. he heaved a deep sigh and turned to shiho who was walking alongside him, just a few steps behind, "can't you just be thankful for what i am doing for you, perfect girl?"

"no, i mean— i don't want to trouble you further. you've done so much for me today." she mumbled out, guilt was visible on her face.

"then you should have accepted dr. jung's offer to drive us home, " sunwoo muttered underneath his breathe, looking at the busy road in attempt to appear nonchalant but she could still hear it.

"i need some time to think. today has been a lot to take." she reasoned softly, "you really don't have to accompany me. if you want, i'll even lie for you if dr. jung ask about it later. don't worry." she assured with a faint smile.

sunwoo stared at her. a tinge of guilt for being rude hit him when he saw the sincere look in her eyes. well, he was reluctant at first when dr. jung insisted that he had to send shiho home after she rejected the doc's offer to give her a lift. but he also wasn't a jerk to let a girl with a possible depression, who just got discharged from the hospital, to go back home on her own, despite her own request.

sighing, he strode closer to her and softly flicked her forehead before she could react. she winced, looking puzzled as she touched the sore spot. her eyes were telling him what was that for and sunwoo smirked, continuing his steps.

"hurry up or we might miss the bus."