Chapter Twleve

"I'd like to apologize about tonight," Elijah said as he stripped just blazer off and took a seat on my sofa, "None of what happened went the way I wanted it to."

I was still standing, not sure what to do with myself, only tightening the straps of my robe when he looked slowly up at me.

"Was it, my fault?" I asked lowly. It felt stupid to blame myself but I wanted reassurance.

He still looked at me, never really turning away, though his gaze did wander down to my neck, briefly. "Yours," he scoffed, leaning back more, "Anyone that causes trouble in my hotel will be dealt with accordingly."

Dealt with. Was he implying he'd kill them or something else?

"Why would you think it's your fault," he continued.

"Oh, I don't know. You just seemed angry with me when you pulled me away from him." I covered my wrist with my sleeve when he looked down at my hands. He pulled me away harshly, but not enough to hurt me, which makes me thankful. Someone like him could hurt me so easily, I was surprised he didn't.

"I'm sorry about that, too." Elijah sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, finally looking away from me. I felt more relaxed when he wasn't glaring at me, but being in my suite alone with him did nothing to ease my anxiety.

Why was he so apologetic? I don't know what I was expecting when I let him in, but nothing about his demeanor made me believe he was there to harm me. I mean, he did say so himself that he wouldn't hurt me, but how was I supposed to believe that when it was coming from a man like him? So powerful and strong; you'd be a fool not to fear him somewhat.

Yet, here he was in my suite looking more comfortable than I was, apologizing for his own actions.

"You don't need to apologize," I stumble out, "It's your hotel." his eyes drifted back up to mine but instead of turning away, I wanted to study him, all of the hard features that looked darker with the dim light cascading from behind him. "Uh, I mean, you're the boss, boss."

He rose from his seat and I backed up a bit, surprised that he moved so suddenly, even more so when he started walking towards me. "I try not to let my emotions cloud my judgment. If I did that, I wouldn't have a fraction of the success I do right now. That's why I ushered everyone out, to stop myself from changing my image."

I wasn't sure what he was implying. "And if you didn't," I whispered as he drew closer, "Those men-"

"Would think I'm weak," he finished, "It took years to build this. I can't risk it all because of a distraction." Elijah drew back from me when my back hit the wall. "But, it might be too late."

Why was he telling me this? "Late? You said you never let your emotions show."

"Well, tonight, my emotions got the better of me. You didn't think someone could touch my property so easily, did you?"

"So it was about me! All because Richard sold me to you, you claim me as property?" Now I was the one who couldn't hide their emotions. Every time he referred to me as his property, I feel so low as a person, that all I'm allowed to offer is my body for entertainment.

"Yes, but it's not as serious as you're making it seem. You knew what you were getting yourself into when you signed that paper. You knew the circumstances."

My blood was boiling. How could he say that so casually, like my existence is just a name on a piece of paper?"Even so, I'm a human being. I'm no one's property. I don't care about that damn paper. I'm not your slave."

He still stood motionless, even his eyes were kept trained on me. I don't know if he meant to or not, but the way he watched me was to intimidate me, even though he spoke calmly. "Maybe my choice of words was wrong, forgive me, Bella, English isn't my first language. You're not a slave to me, but your time belongs to serving my company. Once Richard has paid his debt, you're free to go. Unless you choose to stay."

"Why would I do that," I scoffed and crossed my arms, "So more men could harass me? Do you think anyone wants to live like this forever?"

"You mean well paid and living in a five star hotel," he clapped back, raising his voice for the first time since he arrived. "That wasn't what I meant. Besides, I doubt any of your clients would dare to break a rule in my club. You're not entirely wrong, though. I did let my anger out because of you, but it wasn't because of your actions. That bastardo, he was so cocky, grabbing you like that."

"It's okay. I expected someone to at some point. Even though I felt my privacy was invaded, I was glad when you pulled me away." It was true, when he took me away from Dante, I was relieved. Being in his arms wasn't something I felt comfortable with, especially since the club doesn't allow that. But I guess the more obvious reason is that Dante is dangerous. He could've killed me with that one hand wrapped around me. "Even so," I said softly, looking down, "I'm not yours or anyone's property. I know..I know you think lowly of me, that I'm just another business deal for you.

"Dios Mio," was all I heard before he reached quickly for my face. I jumped back so fast my head almost smashed against the wall. My eyes shut instinctively and I waited for him, but all I heard was the ringing of his phone. My eyes flew open wide as he pulled his phone from his pocket. "Fratello, I'm on my way."

Elijah placed his phone back into his pocket and sighed."Well, seeing as you're fine, I'll let you get back to your privacy." he looked as though he wanted to say more but I didn't press him about it. I'd doubt he'd tell me anything more, anyway.

I didn't move away from my spot on the wall; just watching him as he picked up his jacket and leaving without another word.

I wasn't fine. Far from it.

~*~
What's the point of giving you what you want when I can torture you with some sleep burn first😈also I can't be cliche bc it's too cringe 😬

Now that I got some kindling romance burning, I can start the real story;)

Don't forget to like and comment!
Until next time, M.