Chapter Sixteen

"We'll be starting tonight's auction in five minutes," a female instructor said over the ballroom's intercom, "Anyone wishing to take part in our first round must collect their paddleboard."

many of the auction's attendees had already retrieved their paddles and made their way over while Dante still kept me by his side at our table. My eyes wandered aimlessly around the room looking for Elijah. He looked so stunned after noticing Dante. I guess things haven't cooled down since that night in the V.I.P. Room. I wondered what caused the rift between these two men.

"What a rare sight to see, Dante Acosta at an event, and with a woman no less," a man acknowledged as he approached our table. "What happened, did you finally come to your senses and found a wife, he joked as the two men embraced in a quick hug.

"Let's just say tonight's a special occasion. It's good to see you again, Lucas. Let me introduce you to my date, Anastasia Merrit." Dante pulled me from my seat and to his side. "Anna, this is my cousin, and his wife, Lucas and Eliana Fauci.

I gave a kind smile as they observed me. It didn't matter if I was dressed like them, I had a feeling I stood out like a sore thumb just standing next to Dante, never mind me being his date. It was as if I won a date with him at a charity auction.

"What a lucky woman you are, Eliana said, surprisingly looking at me with awe, "You have no idea how many women have fought to be by his side. What spell did you cast on him."

By the way she talked, I figured she knew nothing of Dante's dark influence and dirty dealings. Half of the people here only knew what this auction was really for. The others were arm candy like me, but unlike the clueless women drinking champagne and socializing, I knew how wrong things were.

I wanted to avoid tonight's fiasco but I ended up tangled in Dante's web. Only playing this out as he wanted would get me out of this situation.

"So, Anastasia, what made you decide to accompany my cousin tonight?"

My lips parted but I wasn't sure how to answer. Telling people I was kidnapped and dragged here isn't a good conversation piece. my heartbeat pounded hard against my chest as the question loomed. Was I supposed to answer them, or would Dante have some form of repercussion for that? I smiled and glanced at him.

"I wanted to bring someone with me who understood the importance of tonight," Dante answered for me, "Someone who could be as valuable as the pieces up for auction tonight."

"Dante, you're such a romantic," Eliana laughed. "I can't remember the last time you've brought a date anywhere!"

I felt the weight of Dante's palm hover over mine as he took and dragged it to his lips, planting a small kiss above my knuckles. "Yes, well, certain women have a special effect on me. Once I saw her, I knew she had a significant meaning."

His eyes pierced through mine as he spoke and I looked back with confusion, although I tried not to show it.

What was he planning, I thought. And why did I matter?

"Attention guests, the auction will now commence." The instructor had everyone's attention as several priceless artworks were unveiled on stage. Now, shall we begin?"

~

Now I didn't understand Dante's motives tonight. He spent the entire time watching other people bid millions over paintings and rare jewels. Even if the pieces were a cover for their drug and weapon deals, why not buy any? My presence felt like a waste of time and space. If all he wanted was to ruffle Elijah's feathers by being here, that mission was accomplished already.

We all watched as the instructor brought the final piece up for display. It was a simple painting of a house, almost dollish. "Of course, we save the best for last, she said coyly. This last piece will begin its bid at seven hundred thousand."