Chapter Thirtreen

Besides my tossing and turning all night I woke up pretty well-rested, despite the knocking at my door being the reason I woke. I didn't expect to sleep until eleven AM but once my mind was awake my body refused to get any more rest. From the moment my eyes opened I began processing the night before. From the heated argument between Elijah and Dante to the heated argument we had in my room, my head felt stuffed with drama.

    I quickly slipped out of bed and crept towards the door. What if it was him again? I wasn't sure I could handle another randevu in my suite. Although I was wearing more than last night, I still slipped on my robe. After a calming breath, I slowly opened the door but again it wasn't who I expected to see.

    "Good morning, Miss Merritt," greeted Ms.Cortez, the dancer's handmaid. I opened the door wider for her once I noticed the black trolley she had alongside her.

    "Oh, I didn't order any food." she rolled the cart in and revealed a brunch set from the cafe downstairs.

    "It's a gift from Mr.Giordano."

    "Gift, but, wait," before I could ask any more questions, Ms.Cortez left without another word.

    Why would he do this? Elijah already apologized to me. It was a sweet gesture but I wasn't sure what to take it as. Besides, I doubt he sends luxurious brunches to every employee he's caused trouble for. I grabbed a croissant from the tray and sighed. It was my day off but there wasn't anything I planned to do or nothing I wanted to do. All I was good for at the moment was sex appeal. Who was I outside of that?
~*~

    The lobby was busy as usual with all of its high-class residents checking in. I felt more out of place here than any other part of the hotel. Watching all of those successful people made me feel less about myself. I ignored them and kept walking towards the spa entrance. The stress from everything lately has gotten to my body. I just needed some time to myself.

    "Please, let me get that for you." a muscular arm reached around me for the door handle before I could grab it. I backed into him out of shock since I didn't see anyone down here with me.

    "Oh, it's you," I said when I turned away, giving myself some space from him.

    "It was about time we met again, Anna," I couldn't even look at him without my eyes instinctively scanning his body. The only thing that covered his naked body was the towel wrapped around his hips.

    Well, that shocked me. We'd only met briefly in the elevator. I wouldn't've expected him to know who I was. "My name, how did you know?"

    "Well, you are one of my brother's employees." "Ah, that reminds me, I hope you've accepted my apology gift. Someone like you shouldn't have been placed in a position like that last night. Ah, I'm sorry. Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Leonardo Giordano, Elijah's older, and much more charming brother." he reached for my hand and placed a soft kiss on my wrist. While I found it and him attracted, I was also bothered by his coy behavior.

    His brother? So this man is Elijah's brother? I guess it'd make sense no one else's looks parallel theirs. Wait for a second, "You, your gift," I blurted out.

    "I know it wasn't much, so what do you say to dinner?" I was taken back by his flirtatious attitude. If he knew who I was and why I was here, why want to be seen with me?

    I already had my hand on the doorknob, ready to flee from the awkwardness I was creating."No, that's you don't, um, I have to."

    "Mr. Giordano, we're late," a guard I was assuming said as he approached us from behind.

    "I'm sure we'll meet again," Leo smiled that same soft one he gave me the first time we met. They walked away finally freeing me from the situation. I opened the spa entrance and walked towards the saunas.

    So that's Elijah's brother. I wasn't even aware he had one. I'd never seen them together. If anything, they could've been relatives with the way they presented themselves. I don't know why I didn't put the connection together sooner. As I turned the corner I heard other voices coming from the receptionist's desk.

    "I know, it's still hard to believe," one said to the other. I was still standing out of view for them to notice me.

    "They said the body was dead before they found him in the water."

    "You don't think they'll come looking here, do you?"

    Body? I was waiting for them to finish their conversation before checking in but I couldn't help but think it had something to do with Elijah.

    "Well, he did have his work ID on him. I just hope it doesn't interfere with the auction." one of the workers finally caught a glimpse of me and cut the conversation short, greeting me with a smile. I pretended to be oblivious to their conversation and carried on checking in.

~*~

    "Hey, Izzy, can I ask you something?" I asked, setting my dance bag down in the studio. I had so many questions about what I overheard earlier but didn't want to bombard her with my theories.

    She got up from her stretch position and smiled. "Sure, doll. What's on our mind?"

    "What's the auction?" I asked hesitantly.

    "Hm? You mean the one Giordano's host every year here?"

    "Yeah, I guess so. Is it important?"

    Isabelle reached for her water bottle and took a small drink."If by important you mean one of the biggest drug trades in North America, then yes." "It's an annual event where some mafia men come to use paintings and other relics as an excuse to trade weapons, drugs, and information."

    Of course, it wasn't a real auction, but a clever way to trade illegal things right under the noses of the cops.

    "And the police don't know about this?"

    "Of course they do. No one could get away with this scot-free. That's why New York is filled with so many dirty cops." "Is something wrong? There's nothing to be afraid of, Anna. it's a private event. We have no business being there."

    "I'm okay. I was only curious."

    The auction. That'll draw in more dangerous men, and after the fiasco that happened last night with Dante and Elijah, I was already planning to stay as far away from that as possible.

    I let my back relax against the mirror and let my mind wander, of course going straight to Elijah. He was born into one of the most powerful families yet I knew nothing about him or his motives. It was right then when I also made the decision to stay away from him, too. Nothing good would come from him.

~*~
Hey guys. I just wanted to say thanks for reading my stuff. I go through a lot of anxiety and depression and writing is the only outlet I have to express myself. I never thought any of my work would be remotely popular but I'm grateful for the people constantly come back for more. It makes me feel so great and boosts my confidence. I'm trying to write more bc I know you guys want more of the book. Anyways, thanks for reading. The books is only starting and I can't wait for you guys to read the rest of it!

This was more of a filler chapter before the main story btw.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Until next time, M.

Also, I'm really bad at responding to messages in the Wattpad app if feel free to message me on my Instagram accounts -marissamrojas and osnapitsmaris❤️🌙