Chapter Seventeen

"Last chance to save her, or shall I kill her like the other one." Dante pressed the knife harder against my neck as he waited for them to answer.

"That's enough," Leonardo blurted out, "You're a disgusting mockery of your family's name. Only children throw tantrums when they don't get what they want."

"Careful, it almost sounds like you want me to slice her up."

"There was no need to drag an innocent person into this. Let her go and I'm sure we can work something out."

Silence filled the room and I wasn't sure if the next breath I drew would be my last. I wanted to live but to put my faith in a man like Elijah was difficult to do.

"You're awfully quiet, Elijah, although your eyes are telling me everything I need to know. It's a shame to let you go so soon, mia. I'm sure this isn't the last time we'll meet."

Dante shoved me to the side and placed the knife on the table. I looked up at Elijah and he nodded towards the door. Quickly, I stumbled out of the room, afraid of what would happen if I stayed a moment longer. My body felt numb with the exception of the slight sting on my neck. The only bathroom I remembered seeing was outside of the Auction room so I made my way there, ignoring the stares of guests. The room was emptier since the event was coming to an end and the 'transactions' were secretly Continuing.

In the bathroom, I got a good look at myself. Streaks of blood leaked down my skin and dress but the wound wasn't deep. I cleaned myself up as best as I could and wiped the makeup from my eyes since it was ruined by the tears. When I finished, I took another look in the mirror. Even though it was over I was still crying.

I wasn't sure If I'd live or die and I'm still uncertain. The entire situation disturbed me and I don't know how to feel unsane. After a while of crying, calming myself, and waiting, I left the bathroom, but to my surprise, Elijah and Leo were waiting for me. When Elijah's eyes landed on mine, I forced myself to walk away from them.

My life was shitty, but it never got this bad. I always knew to stay away from men like this in Louisiana. But here, I'm trapped. I'm in my own cell with no way out and the only key to freedom doesn't even exist. I'm here until Elijah decides if Richard's debt is paid off. Maybe if I'm lucky, he'll fire me for causing a stir at his hotel, and at a public event, no less.

And if that doesn't happen, I really will end up like the other one. Maybe that fate would be better than what's to come. The festivities were almost over and Dante was nowhere to be seen so I took it as my cue to leave, not that I had anywhere to go. The safest place from them was my suite so I made my way there as fast as I could.

I don't know if it was the dried blood or the atmosphere but every part of me felt dirty. After a cold shower, I put on my robe and walked over to my window, glaring down below. A knock at my door broke me from my racing thoughts.

~*~

"I'm so sorry this happened, Anastasia," Leo comforted as he wiped the blood from my neck. "This isn't your fault. Dante was planning this for a while and I guess you were the easiest way to get what he wanted."

"Me? But why? What value do I have to a man like that, or you or.." I flinched as he dabbed hydroperoxide on top of my wound.

"It's a long story. But don't worry, my brother and I are going to protect you from Dante and his family."

"What, why would I need protection?"

"I told you, Bambina, it's a long story." He finished cleaning my cut and placed a bandage over it. I appreciated the kindness Leo gave me but the situation still left me upset.

"That's no excuse to keep me in the dark like this. I deserve to know why this is happening to me. Why does Dante want to hurt me? Why am I being targeted?" I wanted to cry. Both out of sadness and frustration. I just couldn't fathom why I deserve this and what I did that put me on this path.

"I'll tell you," Elijah announced. I looked over to where he stood leaning in the door frame with a glass of whiskey in hand. He had taken off his suit jacket along with his tie and almost looked disheveled, but hid it well with his usual indifferent expression.

"I'll give you two the room," Leo said as he exchanged a brief look with his brother. He reached into his pocket and handed me a business card. "Save my number. I'll come whenever you call."

When Leo left the room, a slight tension filled the air. "So, tell me why."

"If I did, it wouldn't make you feel better."

"I don't care about how it'll make me feel, Elijah. Just tell me, please."

"Dante thinks he found a weakness of mine, something that would've destroyed me if it were true." He caressed my patched wound, his fingertips just barely skimming my shoulder blade. Even though I might've wanted to, I didn't push him away. My mind was so lost in the fog of what just played out I didn't object to the comfort.

"Weakness," I repeated, "I didn't think there was anything weak about you."

The door opened and a maid quietly placed a tray of tea onto the table, along with some more whiskey. Elijah placed a gentle hand on my back and guided me over to have a seat. He poured a cup of tea for me and refilled his own.

"That's because there isn't. I own a renowned hotel business and rarely have any competitors. And if there's anyone in the way of my success, I crush them." "I'm not weak, although I will admit to some choices I've made in the past that might've painted me that way."

"You never answered my question, Elijah. Why would Dante drag me into your conflict?"

"A long time ago, Dante and I fought like this. Our families were close but there was still a rival army between us. We both wanted to be on top, so we tried to find each other's weaknesses. As it turned out, we shared the same one, a beautiful woman. In the end, she died in vain."

"But, why-"

"Dante thinks that you're my lover," he blurted out. I wasn't expecting that to be the situation. "He blames me for the death and this is his retaliation. It's quite embarrassing of him, actually."

"Well, did you tell him the truth," I asked, awkwardly. I wasn't sure how I felt being called his lover. It wasn't a title I sought after. Yes, there were moments of attraction that I tried to deny, and I couldn't ignore the heated kiss he gave me.

"Yes. After you left, I explained you were nothing more than an employee and didn't hold that kind of value."

Ouch. "If I lack value so much, why are you forcing me to work here? If you're so successful, why do you care about Richard's debt?"

Elijah placed his drink back on the tray and stood up. When he moved closer to me, I couldn't help but move away. "It doesn't matter who you are or what kind of value you have. You signed those papers. You belong to me as long as I see fit. And after tonight, I can't let you go. Seeing as I saved your life, it is also mine."

~*~
Sorry for being so inactive. Life can be crazy but because you all ask for an update I found the time to write this chapter. I also wanted to say thank you for reading. I struggle with anxiety and depression and coming on here and reading your kind comments really makes me feel like special. I'm glad you enjoy my story and just know it means the world when you guys say so!

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Until next time, M❤️