Chapter Two

My eyes weren't open but I was awake and aware.  I'd like to thank the throbbing pain on my head for that.  It was pretty hard to overlook.

     Everything around me was silent, making me believe I was by myself, but I wasn't a fool. I didn't want to open my eyes, see if there were people watching me, waiting for me to wake up. I figured I was a cell or something, maybe an empty room chained the wall. But, oddly enough, I laid down on something delicate and plush; velvety.

     My eyes slowly opened, adjusting to the dim light above me that barely gave me vision. I stared up at the ceiling for a moment then glanced to the side. Furniture?  A sofa, I think, was across from me with a coffee table in between us. I was right, I was alone.

      I sat up and clutched the side of my head, checking for blood but found the wound patched up. On the table was a bottle of aspirin in a glass of water, something I obviously wasn't risking,  not with my history with drugs.

     I rose to my feet and searched for a light switch. There was a doorway ahead of me and I went for it but course, it was locked from the outside. Beside it indeed was a switch. I flipped it up and above me, a large Chandelier turned on.

      With better sight, I saw that the room is much larger than I thought. 
Across from the curved sofas was a long dining table that could seat 12 people. And, beyond that what is a floor-to-ceiling window, or wall since it's stretched so far across the room. There was a sliding door and from my view, was a separate bedroom.

     The curtains were drawn and when I walked over to open them, a stunning view of the city appeared before me with lights building illuminating the night sky.

     Where the hell was I, and who would want to take me? I was nobody.  Nothing but a speck of dust in this World. Oh God, am I being sex trafficked?

     Paranoid thoughts did nothing but increase my fear of an anxiety level. I don't even think it's possible to escape, not unless I shattered the window and jumped, but I would only die in the process.  I was so high up, the buildings below us were at least 50 ft lower.

    Maybe it was the best option. Before I could even grab a chair to throw at it, the door open behind me. I turned around with fear in my eyes in my heart. you always hear about it, just like this, but you never expect it to happen to you.

     An armed man stood in the frame. I saw the guns in his holsters and feared if I moved too quickly that he'd shoot me where I stood.

    "Come with me," he said.

     I took steady steps towards him. He led me through what looked like a hotel lobby, into an elevator and installed a key under the highest numbered button, and we went a several floors higher. The doors opened and instead of another entryway, it opened to a penthouse apartment.

The man led me through the space to a seating area where I saw Richard sitting alongside several more men in suits with some of the girls I worked with across from them.

Of course, it was him. He's probably making a deal to market our kidneys. I realized I should check for other bandages on my body when I woke up.

    "Sit," the man commanded, shoving my back.

    I took my seat next to Tiffany and observed closely as the men chattered quietly. I caught a quick glance at Richard who sat and talked with them. He seemed unfazed at this whole situation whereas the girls and I were mortified.

    They weren't really going to harvest our organs, right?

    "Okay, thank you, ladies, for coming," Richard said as he rose to his feet.