Chapter Eleven

"You seem to be on edge, Elijah, have a drink. Relax," Damien coated as he sipped his own liquor, still holding me. I kept one arm slung around his muscular one, mostly because I didn't know what else to do. I had never felt so uncomfortable in my life.

    "This is still a business meeting. I shouldn't have to remind someone like you of that," he replied back, choosing to place his glass on the table. "This isn't a party."

    I felt his long fingers grip trace my corset slowly. Not so much a seductive way, although I'd be a liar if I didn't find him attractive, but a teasing, casual way.

    And the truth was, he was breathtakingly handsome, too much for his own good. Even his cologne brought me to unconsciously lean closer. I had to remind myself several times what Damien Acosta, along with every other man in this room was capable of. That snapped me out of it.

    "If you didn't want me to feel comfortable in your own home, you shouldn't have brought such gorgeous women into my company. I think I might steal one from you," he teased.

    My heartbeat felt harder, so much that I thought it'd burst in my chest. I don't know if it was fear of being traded again or the anger that radiated from Elijah's body, even though his face was stone cold. The eyes never lied.

    I wanted to run away, but Damien's hands held me against him too much for me to worm away or simply sit next to him.

    "I remember a time when you tried to steal from me before. Do I need to remind you of the consequences of that again?" I thought that'd be the end of it but Elijah quickly rose to his full height. The music stopped and all of the chatter amongst the other dancers and men did too. "Ladies, if you'll excuse yourselves. You're no longer needed for your services tonight."

    "Come on, Giordano," Danted chuckled, still having his hold on me. I couldn't hide my discomfort too much at this point. The vibe in the room had shifted into a hostile one. "Don't be so drastic-"

    "Enough," Elijah's voice rose harshly as he surprisingly pulled me from Dante's grip, "Everyone out, now!"

    The dancers were rushed out of the room by a few guards. Elijah only then let go of my arm when another guard came to show me out, too. I was too shocked to say anything, not that I had the courage to or felt it was appropriate, but still.

    I don't know what I was expecting to happen here. They seemed fine, talking amongst themselves, at first. Then they, then he just...

    As we left the VIP room, the doors were slammed shut, leaving all of us at a loss for words. None of us could comprehend why Elijah would suddenly change the tone of the room, not even me, and I was right in front of him.

    As confused as I was, I didn't want to know the reason. Men like them, when they tell you something, you listen.

    Thankfully, Elijah meant it when he told us we were done for the night. After walking out, more guards led us to the private elevator that only went to our floor for our suites. I doubt any of us were up to entertain the guests outside, anyways.

    After I got off the elevator, I went straight into my room, ignoring the other women asking me if I knew why our boss kicked us out like that. While we were coming up, one of them mentioned how uncharacteristic Elijah acted. He was a professional in every way, and that he'd never do anything to frighten us or his clients.

    I wasn't too sure about that. His tone with me was always dark and intruding, nothing that made me feel entirely safe around him, despite him telling me he wouldn't harm me.

    You couldn't help but be afraid of a man like him. And in that room, with all of those powerful men, why wouldn't I feel afraid. Why wouldn't any of us?

    I closed my door silently and slouched against it. What a disaster, I thought. My mind flew back to the last few moments there when Elijah pulled me away from Dante. His grip was so protective and strong, the features on his face looked sharper and more alive.

    Could that be the reason he got so worked up? I started making my way for the bathroom. I needed to wash this night off of me. No, that's ridiculous. Why would someone like him care about what happens to me?

    Don't mishandle someone else's property.

    Could that be it, I wondered as I stripped the corset off and placed my mask on the counter. Could he be angry that Dante broke a silent rule of his club? Even so, there's no reason for him to get frustrated over anything that happened with me.

    The warm water did nothing to relax my muscles. Even though my body's gotten used to the daily workouts and pole training, I still feel heavy at night, especially after a shift. Maybe it's my mind that hasn't become accustomed to this, yet.

    I shut the water off and wrapped my white robe around my body. It's still early in the night, only a bit pass eleven-thirty. Usually, my shift ends around two so my body is used to sleeping late. Even now, and especially after that scene Elijah caused, I'm wide awake.

    Looking around my suite, everything felt dark and quiet compared to the view from my window. The city was still alive, shining bright in every direction I looked. I'd never actually seen the city at night, not in person. Even on my days off, I didn't leave. It wasn't against the rules in my contract or anything, I just felt safer.

    Now that I think about it, many of the other dancers rarely left the hotel. Everything we needed was here. Food, entertainment-other than ourselves-movies, and a gym with a spa. There was even a boutique and cafe on site. This place really was a resort.

    I stepped away from the window and turned on my bedside lamp. Maybe some television would distract me for a bit. I grabbed the remote from my coffee table, but before I got the chance to turn it on, I heard a knock at my door.

    Tightening my robe, I walked over to open it quickly. Maybe Lily and Isabelle got word of what happened and wanted to hear about it.but when I opened the door, it wasn't either of them. I half-expected a dancer or mauve a maid.

    "May I come in," Elijah asked.

    Why couldn't it have been the maid?

~*~
Don't forget to vote and comment!

Until next time, M.