Chapter Six

It's been two weeks since I've been here. Each day was the same. Wake up. Dance practice. Etiquette class. Outfit fittings. Sleep. You'd think I'd be nervous or afraid, but if anything, I was bored.

Sure, the uprooting was sudden and harsh, but I had adjusted just fine to my new life, even if it hasn't been too long since I left Louisiana.

I think it's the feeling of doing the exact thing every single day that's made two weeks feel like two months. What I'd give for one normal thing to happen today, even if it's fleeting.

It's also been two weeks since I've seen him. Our meeting wasn't what I'd thought it'd be. To be honest, I thought he wouldn't bother to look at me. That might be the ideal situation now considering he knows I'm not a guest at his hotel, but a worker; more correctly, a stripper.

No man would want to be associated with someone like me, especially a man like that.

As if I cared.

I was so many things right now. Angry. Sad. Scared. The last thing I wanted to worry about was my first impression. That might be the only thing I needed to worry about right now.

My instructors told me this morning that I was ready to perform in front of the clients. Needless to say, I'm terrified. No sane person can do this after everything that just happened to me.

I don't want to do this. I don't like the idea of me doing this. All those men staring at me, watching me spread eagle on a pole, slowing taking off my garments for their perverted eyes.

Nope. I can't possibly go through with this.

"You ready," Izzy said, walking up from behind me. I glanced at her through the mirror I was standing in front of and shook my head.

"I'm nervous," I confessed, covering my stomach as if holding it would send my nerves away.

It didn't.

"All those eyes on me. I feel naked."

She smiled and undid the black robe I wore, revealing my Swarovski crystal-studded, custom made outfit. Almost nothing was covered except my breast and ass, though my bra did nothing to cover them completely.

"You are gorgeous, Anna. You're the product of a supermodel and sexiest man alive."

Not exactly. "Your point?" she placed a matching mask over my eyes and tied the stain string behind my head.

"There's nothing for you to fear. You've improved quickly enough to perform. Now come on, it's time for your grand debut."

Isabelle grabbed my hand and led me through and out of the dressing room. Every possible thing that could go wrong was running on an endless loop in my mind.

The embarrassment. The vulgar comments. The shame. Maybe everyone thought I was ready physically, but I knew that I wasn't, especially mentally.

I also knew that this wasn't made out to be a choice. I was going through those doors whether I liked it or not. Either that or face the wrath of my boss. What he was truly capable of, I had no idea, but I doubt he'd let just anyone disobey him.

Izzy opened the door slightly and we peered down the hall. Distant chatter and sweet, seductive music slipped past the opening.

Only a small part of me felt okay about this. Beyond my fear and anxiety that was storming in my body was a tiny calm wave. It wasn't enough to make the jitters go away, but I recognized the feeling and kept it close in my thoughts.

"Okay, " Isabelle said as she peered along with me, "Don't forget eye contact. And remember to spend a good about of time for the floor dance."

"Okay."