Chapter Eight

Before I begin, I'd like to apologize for my absence. I work a lot, usually, forty hours a week and I'm always too tired to work. that doesn't mean I haven't been coming up with storylines and plots for my books. I see the comments you post, asking me to update and I always feel bad for not uploading sooner. I hope you enjoy this next chapter and let's pray I write another one soon. Lastly, I hope everyone is staying safe during this pandemic the world is currently going through. The COVID-19 is no joke. I live in the USA and constantly am in contact with strangers so I know how important it is to wash my hands often and take extra care of my asthma. let's stay safe, stay inside and read some Wattpad stories.

I kept my head down, avoiding eye contact with Izzy and Lily who were waiting for me outside of the Women's private workout section. I thought I heard them call my name but I wasn't paying close enough attention.

I shouldn't let the idea of a normal life linger in my mind. I might think it was a possibility.

I went straight to the bathroom. Not to hide, well, maybe a little, but mostly to be alone. The idea of being a tiny pawn in a long chess match has to stick with me. All of the luxuries, fine wine and clothing aren't real. My surroundings are almost fairytale-like; or more of a dream world. And just like a dream, when I wake up the cold reality will seep in.

I began to feel ridiculous for fleeing like that. I'm not a child. But staying and chatting, getting to know someone intimately isn't what I'm here for.

"Get a grip, Anna," I whispered to myself as I splashed some water on my restless face. I just have to get through this day like I did the others.

After I felt my mind had cleared from earlier, I stepped out of the restroom and found my way to the girls. We did our usual Friday routine and I found myself forgetting the stranger, though I did catch a few glimpses of him working out alone.

He seemed unbothered by the many people staring at his beauty, it almost reminded me of-

"Ready to call it a day," Izzy's voice rang from behind me.

I dropped my barbells and let out an exhausted sigh. I never had to work out like this before, not that I was a lazy person. I just never felt the need to whip myself into shape.

But since one of the requirements to dance here includes a top physique, I have no choice but to deal with it.

It was only just past eleven AM so we were pretty much done for today, although I have noticed some of the other girls stay longer. The obsession to look and feel perfect was infectious around them. It almost felt airborne because I noticed myself becoming concerned with a few problem areas of my own.

It was all in my head, of course. But still, things crept into my mind giving me more anxiety than I arrived herewith.

"Just about," I responded.

"All I want in life right now is a dinner buffet. Who's with me," Lily said, seemingly filled with too much energy.

"It's not even lunch yet."

"I see no point in what you said, Isabelle. Come on, Anna, don't let me dine alone."

I was hungry. And maybe a lunch break will distract me from my problems.

I smiled and got up from my mat. "count me in."

"two out of three, Izzy. I'm sure a nice brunch will lighten your mood."

"fine. So long as there's champagne. Being around you is starting to give me a migraine."

"your sense of humor is off."

~•~

The dining hall was crowded as usual with the elites of New York chattering away. There were a handful of faces I recognized from the club, all of which seemed oblivious to our existence. Maybe if the lingerie and faces masks were on I'm sure we'd catch their attention.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Isabella said while we looked through our menus, "some important businessmen are coming to the club this weekend."

Lily looked up unimpressed. "That's not unusual."

"Yeah, except they're part of the Acosta family."

The name sounded foreign to me but lily knew who they were. But then it kind of clicked to me.

"Acosta, as in the mafia family sharing Manhattan with Elij-our boss?"

They both nodded at me. "It's been about two years that I can remember when they last came to the lower part of the island. They rule everything on the right side of Manhattan, from the upper east side all the way down to china town. The financial district is the only part we share. Other than that, we own the left side. The upper west side, SoHo, etc, including Times Square where we currently are."

"Why are they coming here? Do you think a war will break out? They always wanted the financial district to themselves."

I could tell lily was nervous by their pending arrival by her tone and body language. She put her menu down and took a long sip from her champagne glass, probably to calm her nerves.

"Relax, Lil, nothing's going to happen again. The air as settled and from what I've heard, it's a friendly visit." Isabelle placed a comforting hand on her arm.

Again? I knew there were issues between the two families but how bad could it have been to make Lily so unnerved.

"Did...something happen two years ago?" I felt like I had to know.

They both fell silent. Asked and answered.

"There was a dispute about an unfair amount of territory we owned. The Acostas wanted part of Time square and planned to take it by force. The amount of underground traffic seemed unfair to them."

"So what happened?"

It was Isabelle's turn to take a drink. "What do you think? Two Mafia bosses clashing always end one way."

I was afraid for her to say anymore, though I did have an idea. The El Royale wasn't the place to shy away from a fight, especially during turf wars. Although I wasn't there to see how the bloodstains were placed on the walls, I knew why.

Lily shook her head."I don't believe for a second that this is a friendly visit. They're only coming to stir up drama."

"They have been pretty quiet since then."

Now I was starting to worry. " Do we have to dance for them?"

"Not you. You're still too fresh to be dancing for people like them," Isabelle reassured, "Us, on the other hand, will probably be the front runners."

"Please don't say that. I can still see his face, you know. His eyes still burn in the back of my mind."

"What was his name," I asked out of curiosity."

"Damien. Damien Acosta."

~•~
Coronavirus got me acting different bc I'm actually uploading.
Feel free to follow my Instagram and comment about how annoying I am for not updating @marissamrojas.
Don't forget to vote and comment.
Until next time, M.