Chapter Nine

I felt nervous again. Even though I've performed before, I couldn't help but feel anxious. I'm not confident with myself enough to be exposing myself like this, which makes me wonder how am I suppose to make this my life if I can't handle it.

For years, I've watched from the sidelines, the way my old friends performed on stage. Richard had asked before if I was interested in making more money by stripping but I declined every time. A lot of the men that came into the El Royale requested a dance from me but I was disturbed. Letting them grab me, touch my body made my skin crawl.

I guess that was because they were disgusting lowlifes. At least here, the men were nice and respectful. That was, of course, part of the rules. This wasn't a low budget, corner of the street club random men could pile into. The people who came here did it in secret. And the price tag to get through those soundproof doors wasn't something to joke about.

There was also a confidentiality agreement. So much went into this secret that I was afraid to say the wrong thing to normal people. Who knows what'd happen to me.

But why wouldn't it be such a secret? It was owned by the Giordano's. A mafia family. If the police found out about their private business, their reputation as North America's billionaire family would be ruined.

The seriousness of it all is what scared me more than everything else. Why'd it have to be so complicated?

"Are you ready, gorgeous," Lily's voice asked from behind me.

I nodded my head. "Yeah," I replied, "Whatever you say."

I knew she could sense the carelessness in my voice. I wasn't entirely up for another performance. "Anna, I need you to focus. I told you, Mr.Giordano is having a meeting with the Acosta's tonight. They should be done with dinner and already heading down here right about now."

Acosta's. The people who wanted him and his family name destroyed most in the world are gathered in the same building. "It's not like they'll notice me."

She brushed a few stray hairs away from my face and continued to alter my outfit. "And for argument's sake that they do, or even ask you to the VIP room, remember what I told you."

I sighed. "Don't speak unless asked something directly. Make minimal eye contact, but keep it sweet. And don't speak to Elijah."

"Mr.Giordano," she snapped quickly. "Please don't call him that in front of his face."

"Mr.Giordano," I whispered.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. The way the chandelier's light in the dressing room made the crystals dance a slow song along the red velvet colored walls.

They looked more hypnotizing out on the floor. Hell, even I couldn't stop staring at the other women when I'm out there. It was enchanting to look at.

"All done," she announced, admiring her work. "You ready?"

I gave a small smile and nodded." Yeah. thank you," I said, turning to her. "For, you know, making sure I'm always ready."

"You're welcome. I know it's hard being brought here as you did. Trust me, I get it. I just wanted to make sure you were comfortable. It's really not a bad life once you get used to it."

I wasn't sure I wanted to. But her and Isabelle helping me, I don't know. It made me miss my friends. At least I had new friends.

We walked out to the floor together and parted ways. She was already booked for half the night while Isabelle luckily didn't have a shift tonight. I had plans, too, with someone named James Tourtin. He was my highest bidder.

Not too long had passed when I saw them come in. the room had lost its laughter and even through the music, it was silent.

I watched like everyone else as they made their way to the VIP room.there was only eight or ten of them. None of them looked like guards. I couldn't even imagine the intensity that was felt in that room. Luckily, I'd never know. For once, I was happy to sit in this booth with random men and other dancers.

I took another sip of my virgin margarita as the voices began to creep back around us. James was about to whisper something into my ear for the twentieth time tonight when one of the security guards approached our table. I was confused until I noticed he was looking directly at me.

"Ms.Merritt. You've been excused." without giving me a chance to protest, the man grabbed my surprisingly me softly and pulled me away from the table. "You'll be compensated for the rest of your time, Mr.Tourtin," he said as the man tried to protest.

"What's going on," I asked. I didn't do anything wrong.

He held the hallway door open for me, pushing me through quickly. "You've been requested to join the group in the VIP room."

I felt my blood run cold. I didn't want to go in there. "No, I, I don't want to."

"That's not up to you, now go," he shoved me a bit harder now, but not enough to hurt me.

I jerked myself away from him."Says who?" I felt like a scared child afraid to sleep alone during a storm, knowing there were monsters under my bed. Except the monsters were real now.

"Me," his voice spoke from across us. My eyes were still on the guard who tensed up. "Thank you, Liam. this is the last one."

The guard left us to watch over the main room and I felt the walls closing in on us.

"I'm not sure where you think you are right now," he said as his voice grew closer, "but no one declines an order from me."

"I..didn't know it was you..who requested me," I said lowly.

"I didn't. They did, now let's go."

I felt his warm hands on my back trying to turn me but I moved away from him. "No, I still don't want to."

He didn't hesitate. "I wasn't asking." his words, sounded so intimidating. I don't know why I would even say no to someone like him. "What are you afraid of," he asked in a slightly lowered voice.

"Besides you? The other dangerous men in Manhattan."

He paused for a moment. "Don't fear me. I'm not here to hurt you."

"Then why does it look like you would?" the words slipped out before I could catch them. But they felt right to say. He was dangerous. Why wouldn't I be afraid of him, especially when he was so close to me when those eyes made me want to run and...

"Whatever fear you've got running through your head, let it go. Believe it or not, you belong to the Giordano's now."

"No, I refuse. You can't make me."

"Elijah leaned closer to me, grabbing my wrist. "Either you go in there and dance for them, or we go out there and you dance for me."

~•~
Oh hey. Pls enjoy the angst.
Don't forget to vote and comment.
Until next time, M.