10. A Step Closer

After the disastrous meeting with Ares, and our conversation about visiting the village.  I had shut myself away needing to calm down and reflect on his words and actions. My men had not been happy with me, wanting to stay at my side and I knew I would probably pay for my brattiness later but I couldn't stop myself.

Pausing in the entrance to the room, now dry after my long bath, I stood taking them in and waiting for them to notice me.
"Come!' Owen commanded, holding out his hand to me and I rushed forward to kneel at his feet, his hand cupping my jaw and lifting my face to his. Seeing the understanding in his face. I realised again how well they knew me, even in our mortal bodies, they understood.
"Are you feeling better?" He questioned softly.
"Yes sir" I whispered.
He drew my upwards, pulling me onto his lap where I curled against his hard body, the other watching us silently.
My gaze lifted to look at each of them "I'm sorry"
"For what" Kal challenges.
"For pushing you all away earlier, I'm sorry" I tell them all and receive soft smiles in return.
Miles catching my gaze. "We are here for you always, we will protect and serve you, just let us in" he says and I nod silently.

The rest of the evening is relaxed, but we all know it's the calm before the storm and I take some time to look through my grandmothers things again, thinking this time of the village. Kal had already taken a look and we would be landing on the outskirts of the village, walking distance from the town centre. We had a list of addresses to check out but I was focussed on the pictures, memorising the images and faces in my mind.
"Enough for tonight" Miles said from my side, holding his hand out to me, as I glanced around the room, seeing all the others were gone.
"Come, let us help you relax" he ordered with a grin and I smiled back putting my hand in his.

The bed around me was empty in the morning and I stretched feeling the aches from their stress relief last night. I reached out with my senses to find them, panicking slightly at only finding Miles and Jace, but they had picked up my search and were soon coming through the bedroom door.
"Kal is picking up a helicopter and Owen has gone with him, we thought it was best to stay in pairs where we cannot remain as a group" Jace explained leaning down to kiss me before sitting on the edge of the bed.
"Are you feeling rested?" Miles asked from my other side and I smiled.
"Yes sir" I reply softly, smiling as they assist me in getting up and ready for the day ahead. The noise of the helicopter arriving making us realise it was time to go.

The village was as I expected, the images I had poured over come to life, but without the life...
"Where is everyone?" I ask Kal carefully as we walk down the deserted Main Street, the houses shut up and shutters closed.
On reaching the village square Owen indicates we should stop and wait. My gaze finds the well and I am shocked to see the green tinge to the water in the scatter buckets. Pulling Jace's hand into mine I take him closer with me "Look at the water" I whisper and he nods, leaning down to look into the well, pulling back quickly.
"It stinks, like its putrid" he warns as I try to get closer.
The nasty tickle of Helene's magic lingering around us.
"Helene's poisoned it?" I question and he nods.

I feel my anger rise, how dare she, is she punishing these villagers for their belief in me. I can feel my hand heat and follow my instincts, stepping forward, Jace close to my side, his hands ready to pull me back.
"This was the well she tried to drown Arachne in" I murmur, my hand now running over the stone edge of the well.
"If this is their only water supply within the village, she's driven them all out" Jace replies his gaze searching the closed up homes.
"Not all of them" Owen calls to us, his head indicating towards a smaller cottage, the movement of a curtain showing some one had been watching us too.
"Do you think they will come out?" Kal, takes a step that way but Owen stops him.
"Not without proof we mean no harm" his gaze swings to me "Thena, can you fix the well?"