8. Return to Sender

Back at the house, I snuggle in between Miles and Jace, needing their bodies pressed close to mine, to center my emotions. I had just told a mother, we were going to stop her child, I couldn't fathom, how hard it was for Arachne to give me her blessing and I swore I would do everything with honour.

"We can't hide, people will get hurt" I say quietly.
"I know but we need to have a plan before we go anywhere" Owen argues, squeezing my hand before returning to his work.

We spent the rest of the afternoon, working through the paperwork and Owen touched base with his office by email. I sat alone by now, in an armchair looking out at the gardens. "Zeus, if you can hear me, did you tell Ares about my men?" I question my father quietly, guessing he was watching over us, my gaze fixed on the flowers outside. I had kept my voice low enough that my men couldn't hear me but I needed to know, to keep them safe.

The click of the letter box made me jump, I had seen no-one come up the path, the postman would have come very early and usually left post in the rear porch, so what had just arrived. I went into the hall to investigate, picking up the heavy paper addressed to me 'Athena'.

Opening the message in my hand I let out the breath I hadn't realised I had been holding, she didn't know, Ares didn't know, only Zeus knew and he was keeping quiet. I held the letter against my heart and whispered 'thank you' before going back to the library.

Emma was out helping dad build a wall in the barn to protect Arachne, she was nervous about being near such a huge spider especially when she was a little scared of them anyway, but I think the talking aspect helped and I know dad was fascinated with Arachne and I could see them sharing many conversations in the future.

My men were sprawled around the room, Owen at the table reviewing our findings, Jace slumped in a chair, a paper in his hands, Miles now tense by the window and Kal prowling the room.

"We can't hide anymore, we need to be accessible, we need to draw her out" I say, knowing I had said it early but confident now it was the right thing to do.
"Are you suggesting we return to London?" Owen asks and I nod.

"If that's where she thinks you will be, we need to go there first before we head back to Greece"
"Why" Miles leans forward in the seat and stares at me.
"She will know by now that the explosion didn't kill you and she knows about me, but not you all, she may think she can turn you against me. I think she will try to contact you directly."

"Could she still be in London, is it a risk to go back, she has already blown up one building" Miles growls. "I'm not risking losing you"
"Ares would have taken her away from here, somewhere on his turf"

Kal wraps his arms around me, holding my against his broad chest "We will not use you as bait to get to Helene!" he growls and I smile up at him, raising my hands to cup his face.

"Its not her we need to draw out, we need Ares first" I tell them "We need to find out how far in her camp he is"
They looked at me in horror. "You want to bait Ares, are you mad?" Kal growls.
"Yes, No, Maybe" I smile softly at them. "You know I am right, we have to" I add and I know from the grimaces on their faces they understand.

"And if he is firmly on her side?" Miles questions and I can see the worry in his eyes.
"Then we will have to deal with him as well, but we will need as much help as we can, Ares won't go down easily" I tell them clearly.

"Tomorrow, let's have one night of peace then we will go back to the apartment, if you are right and they have contacted us we will go from there" Owen growls, coming to take my hand in his, as the others close in around me.

"My Dad..." I start but Kal cuts me off.
"We will get a team nearby to keep an eye on everything, he will be safe" he promises and I nod, drawing strength from their closeness.