1. Just Too Late

Mile's arms held me tight against him, as I glared up at the building now ablaze before us.  The emergency services racing around us, as they tried to stop the flames from spreading, but we knew this fire would only take this building and its secrets.

"She escaped" I mutter angrily and Jace's finger twist with mine.
"I know but we will find her, she is running, that gives us the upper hand and we have the resources to find her again" he soothes but I am not happy, every day she is free, she is a danger to my men, my family and we need to stop her.

My gaze searches for my two missing gods, and I see Kal and Owen standing talking to the staff that had managed to get free of the buildings destructive blast. My gaze moved round and I saw a woman stood alone, yet within the crowd watching them. I could almost feel her fear and anger as she looked at who was left, her eyes frequently returning to my gods. "We need to speak to that girl" I whisper to Jace, indicating with my head, who I meant.

Jace and Miles look at her and frown. "Is that Terra?" Miles asks Jace, who nods briefly.
"Who?" I ask, as Miles takes a step her way, leaving me in Jace's hold.
"Terra, is, was, Helene's assistant" he whispers back as we watch Mile's reach her. Her reaction to his arrival was not what I was expecting, her head bowing slightly and her gaze looking relieved he was there. They exchanged a few words before turning back to us, Terra looking intently at me as she approached at Mile's side.

"Terra, this is Athena, Thena, Terra worked for Helene" Miles introduces us before again wrapping himself around my back, his arms circling my waist.

"Lady goddess" Terra bowed slightly, trying not to bring attention our way.
"You know who I am?" I asked quietly, surprised when she nodded.
"We all felt it when you awakened, Lady Helene had me research any seismic activity and I traced it back to the island, and hoped that finally we had a chance to..." she stilled looking around fearfully.

"Reset the balance?" I finished for her and she nodded. "Did you tell her, did she know it was me?" I ask, already feeling the answer.

"No, I lost the report, tried to cover it up, but she still found out today, she had a visitor from Greece this morning, after that... well she was not happy.  But I never would have thought she planned to kill us all, to burn us all alive" Terra shivered, her eyes blazing with anger. "Let me help you" she begged.

I felt the men at my side tense, waiting for my answer. "No, your place is here with the rest of your coven, you need to bring them together and flush Helene's influence out, she will lead you no more" I tell her, watching the struggle on her face. "Terra, I promise I will come to you if we need your help, but you must take control of the coven to prevent her from taking it back" and I see the acceptance in her eyes.

"Thank you" she replies and I nod, watching as she turns back to the other staff and takes a step before stopping abruptly, turning back to us, her hand going into her pocket and pulling out a flash drive, passing it to Mile's. "This may help you" she smiles before leaving.

Owen and Kal joining us as she walks away. "What was that all about, was she able to tell you anything?" Kal asks and I nod.
"Someone from Greece warned Helene, so we know she still has allies and Terra gave us this, said it might help" Miles holds up the flash drive to show them.
I felt a frisson of fear, had Zeus lied to us, or was someone else helping her?

"Come, lets get out of here, we can check what's on the drive, and I want Thena somewhere safe, she is too exposed here" Owen suggests, moving to pull me into his hold and I shudder, as the reality of what could have happened to us hits.

"Its okay baby, you saved us, whatever you felt this morning, it helped us stay safe" he soothed and I nodded, but hated knowing that the driver and assistant had been killed in the blast.

"We will look after their families" he promised and I realised once again he had picked up on what I was feeling.

"Thank you" I whispered, as he kissed my lips softly before leading us away. Kal opening the door of the taxi and helping me inside, till Owen once again reclaimed me.

It was a somber journey back to their apartment and Jace insisted we all eat before we looked at the flash drive, once again relying on takeaway to meet our basic needs.  I didn't care, my mind was focused on who had come from Greece, who would warn her and why.