Chapter 10

💌 ɪɴᴠɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ 💌

Yoongi watched the interaction between the two workers as music played through his earbuds.

He had felt a small bit of guilt as he saw Namjoon look at the door that the other worker walked into, sadness obviously reflecting from his actions - well, lack of actions. Yoongi took a small sip of the coffee to see if it was still hot (it was) as he debated on whether to go over and talk to Namjoon or if he should just mind his own business.

After a bit of Yoongi's head tossing itself around into imaginary walls, he decided to go over to him and at least try to start a conversation. There wasn't too much he could lose at all, yet his mind kept on throwing pathetic excuses in hopes that he would believe them.

Yoongi took out his earbuds and hesitantly stood up from his seat. He walked over to the counter, each step feeling slower than an hour. When he had gotten there, he felt himself flinch a bit when he saw Namjoon looking at him with his arms resting on the countertop. He hadn't really taken note of Namjoon moving over to the front.

"Yoongi?" Namjoon asked, worry evident in his expression. "Is there something wrong?"

"Uhh..." Yoongi felt his heart and throat tighten as he tried to figure out what to say. "I was just wondering if...uh...you allowed people to study here...?"

Really Yoongi? Out of all things.

There was silence for a bit before Namjoon stood straight and a relaxed smile presented itself on his face. Yoongi just watched.

"Sure, we don't mind." Namjoon said. "As long as it doesn't create too much of a problem."

Yoongi nodded. "And...uh... I was also wondering..."

Namjoon listened, not seeming very bothered by the customer's awkwardness, which made Yoongi subconsciously feel better.

"I don't want to sound like a creep or anything..." Yoongi smiled, hoping that it would lighten the conversation, "But...I noticed that you were a bit sad earlier...and, uh, I was wondering if something had happened...?"

Namjoon looked a little surprised at the question, but his face quickly returned to a calm stare. Yoongi also noticed that he glanced over to the employee door for a second.

"It's nothing. I was just overreacting." Namjoon smiled.

The smile hadn't reached his eyes.

Yoongi noticed that, thankfully, and didn't take it for granted.

"It hadn't seemed like you were overreacting to me..." Yoongi mumbled.

A small laugh was heard from Namjoon. "Are you using my way of observing?"

It was obvious in his tone that he was teasing so Yoongi laughed with him.

"I could be..." He joked.

Seokjin just watched through a small crack the door made before closing it again.

"But seriously, what happened?" Yoongi asked, his tone returning to normal. "You don't have to explain everything of course." He added.

Namjoon's smile faltered a bit.

"Just a friendship problem." He mumbled.

"It's too bad since he's my roommate." Namjoon joked afterwards.

"You can come over to my place." Yoongi offered.

Namjoon raised his eyebrows. "What?"

Yoongi felt himself freeze. They always say think before you speak. Well, now I know why.

"I can sense the awkwardness between you guys from far away," Yoongi said. "Besides, I have a spare bedroom."

Namjoon looked at him in disbelief. He knew he shouldn't trust someone he only just met a week ago. It seemed like Yoongi had known that after his small panic was over.

"I'm not trying to kidnap you or anything." Yoongi added. "You can always say no."

They made eye contact after Yoongi spoke. Namjoon was weighing the pros and cons in his head while Yoongi was waiting for an answer with slight impatience. Not like he cared or anything pfft.

"Sure I guess." Namjoon shrugged. "As long as I can bring my phone."

"Never said you couldn't." Yoongi told him. "It's just my apartment anyways."

Namjoon nodded. "Today or..."

"It doesn't matter." Yoongi finished for him.

"Then I guess today then." Namjoon smiled, making Yoongi smile a little before removing it soon after.

"When does your shift end?" Yoongi asked.

"Today it ends at 20:00."

"Oh. Alright. I'll come back here then." Yoongi planned. "I don't have a car so we'll have to walk."

"That's fine."  Namjoon agreed. "Is it okay if I have your number? So I could text you when my shift is over."

Yoongi was a bit shocked. He thought for a bit before nodding and going back over to his table. He slid the coffee sleeve off of the cup and grabbed his phone before walking back over to Namjoon. Then he disconnected the ends so it would unravel.

"Do you have a pen?" Yoongi asked him as he straightened out the cardboard. Namjoon nodded and went into the back.

After waiting and occasionally straightening the coffee sleeve again, Namjoon walked out of the door with a black pen in his hand. He gave it to Yoongi, who clicked it open and scribbled on the cardboard to get the ink flowing. Once he was able to see the scribbles, he turned on his phone and wrote down the numbers on the paper.

"You didn't memorize your phone number?" Namjoon asked. Yoongi shook his head.

"I never bothered to." He said. "I don't really have anyone to give it to."

Yoongi clicked the pen and handed it and the cardboard over to Namjoon.

"Can I have another coffee sleeve?" Yoongi asked.

"Well by now the coffee should be cool." Namjoon mentioned. Yoongi nodded.

"Thank you, Yoongi." Namjoon said sheepishly.

"What?" Yoongi exclaimed, a bit taken off guard.

"You didn't have to." He explained. "After all, to you, I might seem like some random cafe worker that doesn't know what privacy is."

Those words ticked Yoongi a bit. That's what he should be thinking of the worker as, but for some reason, his mind isn't able to fluently repeat the words. That's wrong.

"Well, I had to return the favor, didn't I?" Was what he said instead of what was on his mind.

"Not exactly, but I'm glad you did." Namjoon thanked him with a small bow.

"Please don't bow...it feels weird." Yoongi mumbled. Namjoon laughed and ruffled his hair.

"Don't do that..." Yoongi mumbled while pushing his hand out of his hair.

Yoongi took that chance to leave. His mind kept on asking itself why he viewed the worker so differently than how he should. They had only met a week ago, it's not like they were reunited childhood friends. But why did it feel like that? And how come he didn't like the idea of viewing him as just a cafe worker?

After sitting down and taking a sip of his now barely warm coffee, a sudden thought traced his mind.

Are we friends...?

💌💌