Chapter 8- Wolf

He peered around at his surroundings, the room familiar to his eyes. The timber planks, of which the walls were made of, were held together, precariously by nails- one kick away from crumbling to dust. Crevices within the wooden structure admitted small wisps of moonlight to enter the small hut, forming the only lighting within the cramped interior space. He was at the back of the room, his eyes scanning the single piece of furniture which adorned it- a sturdy wooden chair. He glanced towards the door, expectant, and was yet again, met with disappointment as the door remained firmly shut. He sighed with frustration, his mind running through, what seemed to be the hundredth time, the multiple possibilities which may have delayed the arrival. Even his imagination seemed to be incompliant to his demands, his well of ideas dry, from his constant demand for entertainment. His eyes once again moved to linger upon the single chair, examining each grove of the wood, each nail which pieced it together, each splinter which had escaped from the wooden backboard.

His breathing became heavier, as he attempted to calm the anger welling up within him. He had clearly stated his instructions- and as it became more and more likely of the errand’s failure, he was steadily growing more annoyed. He glanced about once again, scanning the interior of the cramped room, his eyes, once again searching for something to do, as he awaited mindlessly for the arrival. He exhaled once more, not of anger, but rather of resignation. He prepared to return to the palace, closing his eyes, allowing himself to slip away. His efforts of dissolving from the mirror, however, were abruptly interrupted by the creak of the unstable door, swinging unsteadily open from its rusty hinges. For a brief moment, silence reigned once more, before the loud slam of the door finally convinced him to pry apart his eyelids.

The once empty room now held a single creature within its centre. A wolf. Its fur as black as night and its eyes resembling emeralds, almost glittering, despite the lack of light. It had tracked into the room, the trail of snow from the door providing clear evidence. Its eyes never strayed from the mirror once, as it slinked by the chair and moved to stand within the centre of the room.

“I almost thought you wouldn’t come,” the Mirror. “What took so long?” The wolf responded with the bowing of its head- no sound escaped its jaws.

“Well, is it done?” he asked, expectant yet afraid to receive a response, should it be against his favour. The wolf slightly stooped his head, before facing the mirror once again- an inclination. Relief flooded him as a smile crossed his face.

“Impressive,” he congratulated, making no effort to hide his obvious surprise at the wolf’s success. “Everything is going to plan?” The wolf inclined its head once more.

“Good…good… oh, and I assume our secret is still safe?” the Mirror continued, still not completely satisfied. The wolf ducked its head, once again consenting its agreement.

“Very well, you have done well,” the Mirror acknowledged, a sly grin spreading across his lips.

“Snow is in for a great surprise.”