Chapter 18- Letter

Amity bent down, bringing the drawer of the bureau to eye level. Her slim fingers wound tightly around a small knife, prepared to carve excessive wood, as she warily slid the top-most drawer from its frame. The drawer glided smoothly from its designated area, before abruptly catching upon an unseen maim within the handiwork. 

"Oh, frickle frackle!" cursed Amity, earning a few questioning gazes from her fellow workers. "Sorry," she squeaked at the sudden attention.

Amity cautiously raised the drawer a fraction, extracting it with the utmost care, quelling her frustration of moments ago. She immediately spotted the bump that had disturbed the transition that had began with such hope and ended with annoyance. 

Summoning a fortifying breath, Amity moved away from the bureau, towards her benchtop, dumping the faulty drawer atop her work space. The multiple tools hanging upon the overhead frame swayed upon the contact. Amity's glided her fingers over the smooth edge, snagging at the slightly raised area. 

How did I not see such an obvious blunder? Amity chastised herself. Her fingers rubbed at the small bump in irritation, as if the motion would magically rid the small flaw. Sighing at the lack of magical occurrences, Amity brought the knife down onto the uneven surface, coercing the excess wood from the drawer. 

She bent down, bringing the surface to eye level as she witnessed the bump diminishing itself into the smooth surface it should've been. As her blade moved closer to the destined surface level, Amity abruptly halted, lifting the blade to scrutinise her handiwork. 

She opened a cupboard beneath her benchtop, her fingers cautiously sifting through the chaotic jumble of miscellaneous equipment and materials. She pushed aside sharp jagged crystals, an assortment of small gems, a tin of sticky resin, and a thick stick of wood, before her eyes identified her required item.

A small scalpel-like blade sat almost hidden within the dark interior of the cupboard. Amity reached with her thin fingers, the cool metal coming in contact with her fingertips as she extracted the tool. She brought the project in question to eye, her experienced hand guiding the newly-acquired blade along the lump's residue. The wood came off in small curls, hastily brushed off by Amity. She brought herself to full height, admiring the now leveled surface. She leaned over the drawer, examining the opposite side. It may need additional polish, or perhaps a sand down...

"Boo!"came a sudden voice.

Amity jumped involuntarily, hitting her head upon the butt of an overhanging hammer. 

"Ow!" She exclaimed, a hand rubbing furiously at the back of her head. She turned to face her offender, her look of agitation transforming into one of giddy excitement. "It's you!" 

Andrew was still chuckling at Amity's initial reaction. He had deposited his bow elsewhere, allowing him fuller movement as he chortled at his small prank.

"You should've heard the thunk!" said Andrew through his laughter. Amity's lips uplifted at the corners; his laughter was contagious- almost. Her thoughts, however, quickly returned to her previous anticipation. Amity threw her arms around him, pulling him close so her mouth was positioned just beside his ear. She heard his intake of breath- the laughter subsiding all too quickly. 

"So? Where is she?"Amity whispered.

"We need to talk outside," was Andrew's response. His voice suggested he was keeping something important.  

Amity pulled away, giving a quick nod before releasing her grasp. 

Andrew gave her a knowing look before exiting the way he came. Amity watched him go, until the dull thump of the door hitting its frame, resonated through the workshop. Instead, she cast a quick glance at her surroundings, finding all those in her vicinity's gazes locked upon her- some astonished, some smug, some even accompanied with a small smile.