Chapter 3- A Birthday Treat

Snow absently removed the ribbon holding her jet black hair up, allowing the waves of hair to fall down to her back. Only now did she realise how tired she was. Her arms ached of the cumbersome weights she had been forced to lug around. Her back stung from consistently slouching from the heaviness of the pails. Her whole body stung with fatigue, however, she forced herself to close the gap between her and her bed. Once within sufficient reach, she collapsed, into the small relief the hard bed offered. Snow felt her eyelids droop- they felt heavy- too heavy to remain open. Though at the back of her mind, a voice nagged her about her endless list of uncompleted chores, Snow allowed herself to be pulled into and under the sweet comfort of sleep.

***

It was only when three sharp knocks vibrated at her door, did Snow jostle awake. As the shock of the sudden awakening began to fade, panic commenced settling within her. What time was it? Was her step-mother mad? Did she sleep through the evening and into the night? The three knocks repeated themselves, interrupting her train of thought. She moved to unlock the door, dread settling within her- the visitor was no doubt a representative of the Queen, come to reprimand her.

Swinging the door open, she spotted the visitor before her- causing a subsequent grin to spread across her face. In front of her stood a seemingly plain servant- her typical plain grey dress to her worn-out apron to her brown locks, which had been pulled back into a simple low messy bun. However, what distinguished her was her expression reflecting the pure happiness apparent on Snow's face. Snow moved aside as she allowed her friend into her cramped living quarters. Though discreet outside, upon the door's closing, a squeal erupted, her friend's excitement could not be contained any longer.

"Happy 17th Birthday!" she half-yelled, half-whispered. Snow rolled her eyes, as she watched her friend fret and squeal. Snow was used to her friend's behaviour- the girlish screams, the overexcitement, the way she would make a huge deal out of everything.

"Do I really need to be reminded how many years of my life have been wasted in this prison of a palace?" was Snow's reply. It was sarcastic yet she knew her friend would only take it as a usual act of pessimism. As usual, she fell for the bait.

"C'mon! Cheer up! Besides... I got you a gift!" she nagged, tugging playfully at Snow's tattered dress' sleeve. At this, Snow's eyes lit up, before abruptly narrowing, clearly suspicious.

"You got me a gift? How on earth did you manage that?" Snow hushed- knowing fully well how thieves were treated by the Queen.

"Would you relax? I didn't steal it! It's not much but..." she broke off, suddenly looking uncomfortable. Slowly she reached her pocket and extracted a simple small stone. Snow reached for it, interest aroused. It was jet-black and cool to touch. It was smooth and gave off a lovely shine when it caught the light of the single light bulb above their heads. Snow gently flipped the stone- to find an elaborate engraving-

"Snow White and Amity Stone. Now and Always, Friends."

Upon reading the inscription, Snow let out a small gasp.

"What's wrong?" asked Amity, her voice filled with worry.

"Nothing- it's beautiful," replied Snow. At that, Amity smiled once again.

"You're truly amazing. I love you," said Snow, pulling her friend into a tight embrace.

"Oh, I know," Amity smiled- her hazel eyes sparkling.

"But, I have one last surprise...come in!" her voice suddenly raised. Snow glanced towards the door, expectant yet concerned. The new visitor, however, completely caught her off guard. A male of a slight muscular build and dark unkempt hair, made his way through the door.

"Andrew?" uttered Snow, disbelief in her voice.

“Hi,” he replied, giving a slightly awkward wave as he glanced in Snow’s direction- before turning his attention to Amity. Amity, upon catching his eye, began to nod, encouraging him to force the words out of his mouth. He cast a fleeting look at Snow, who had awkwardly commenced fidgeting with her dress. Pointedly clearing his throat, he directed his next words at Snow.

“Hey, Snow,” he paused, unsure if she was listening. Her head cocked up- surprised at being addressed.

“May I escort you for a walk outside the palace gates?”