Chapter 10- New Meeting

Snow stared into the flames, her eyes focusing in the way they leapt, the way they never stopped moving. The cabin was like a godsend, an offer of warmth and shelter amidst what seemed to be a dire situation, minutes ago. Despite the unceremonious change of events, she felt her lips curl into a smile. True, she was within a cabin in the middle of the woods. True, she may never see her old friends again. True, she had just left her whole life behind her. But looking past the complete negatives, Snow was optimistic for once, as she dwelled on the single fact:

She was free.

Snow's eyes strayed momentarily from the fire, catching the slightest of movements from a shadow. Instinctively, she whipped her head around, dread filling within her stomach. Had the wolf caught up? Was the Queen here? Had another lethal creature been in the room, awaiting the right moment of attack? She stared straight ahead, her mind momentarily uncomprehending of the pair of legs she was confronted with. Slowly, her head tilted upwards. The shadow had not been one of a creature, but rather, one of a human- a man. His black unkempt hair stuck up at odd angles, as his hands rested lightly upon the weapons attached to his hips. His face held the oncoming’s of a beard- he looked eighteen at most. He was clothed in multiple furs and layers of cloth, each clinging to him from the damp snow, emphasising his lankiness. In addition, the stranger also wore thick boots, suited for hiking within the snow, and judging from the fluffs of snow present upon his clothes, he had just returned from outside.

Snow ejected herself from the wooden chair, bringing herself to full height- not that it made much of a difference- the stranger still remained at least a head taller than her. For a moment, both of them just simply stared at each other, taking in the other, accepting the situation. The uncomfortable silence, which had settled, soon verged on awkwardness, prompting Snow to clear her throat. Breaking off the stare, the stranger turned away, one hand running through his hair, the other, remaining limp upon a dagger handle. He stood about two metre away from her, making it impossible for Snow to tell whether his face reflected frustration or confusion. Sighing, he faced her once more, his face of slight embarrassment, as he voiced the inevitable question.

"Uhh... I hate to be outright and rude, but umm...what are you doing in my home?"

Snow blinked. Though she knew the question was unavoidable, she had yet to think of a response. Now it was her turn to be embarrassed. She felt blood rush into her cheeks, as she struggled to reason her breaking and entering.

"You see...actually...long story...ummm there was a wolf and it chased me...and then a blizzard...and...and…it was cold," she finished lamely. Her hands, which had been gesturing in a wild attempt to add clarity to her explanation, dropped limply to her sides. She looked away from the stranger, afraid of the mocking and laughter that would undoubtedly follow. When no sound escaped, she glanced back at him, surprised to find a small empathetic grin upon his face. She returned the smile, her nerves relaxing in the slightest.  She pulled in a deep breath as she attempted to mute the jitteriness.

“I’m sorry. Really, I’m so sorry- I didn’t mean to barge in like that,” she cast her eyes downwards, ashamed of her actions. He shrugged almost nonchalantly, snow coming of his shoulders as he did so.

“You were caught in a blizzard, as I understand it. You had no choice.” He said in a matter-of-fact tone, as if her actions we understandable. His voice was soft, undemanding, almost with a sense of reassurance. All Snow could do was blink in surprise as he moved past her, intent on nearing the flames. He positioned himself so he faced the centre of the fire, before crouching before it. Carelessly flinging his thick woollen gloves to the floor, he hovered his bare hands over the flames, determined to bring warmth to them. Snow folded her arms across her chest, torn between suspicion and relief. She remained upstanding, uncertain of her next move.