Chapter 19- Awake

Air.

The first thing she could feel was air.

Waves of it rolling over her. The powerful force of nature filtering all too slowly into her systems. Her nostrils filled with the oxygen, her lungs hurriedly quenching its thirst. She was swathed in it- not suffocating but gentle. She felt herself inhale deeply, her body greedily forcing the air into her lungs. It had never tasted so sweet... so refreshing... so replenishing.

There was no sound. No touch. No sight.

Just air. 

Snow could feel her chest moving drastically up and down, the large gulps percolating into her. 

Her brain stirred.

Her eyes suddenly flung open, exposing her to a world of colour. Yet they only dizzied her- folding and swirling upon one another, forming a confusing disarray. Her eyes closed abruptly, before slowly flickering open once more- careful to ensure a smooth transition.

The objects were all blurred- fading into one another. It was as if someone had placed a thick lens in front of her- one which was deeply in need of cleaning. She blinked several times. Slowly, but progressively, an image began to define itself. Sharp outlines came into focus. Colours cleared into their defined shapes. Comprehension slowly trickled into her brain. Wood, it told her. 

What? her own thoughts retorted.

The cabin, her brain insisted- the words imminent in her mind. She felt a sense of recognition, yet she couldn't bring herself to process it.

The still set was suddenly perturbed by a moving figure. A male- his expression gaunt in worry. His mouth opened and closed, words tumbling out them, oblivious to Snow's inability to hear them. A faint ringing, instead, seemed to begin in her ears.

Snow suddenly became aware he was shaking her, her body rocking back and forth through strength that was not her own. She gradually felt her fingers- her arm- her body- tingle into life. She propelled herself upwards with her elbows, only to face a spell of dizziness. She was forced into her original position. Her ears, however, was beginning to filter the sound. Subdued but there.

Then all too quickly, it came into definition- the sharp sound cutting harshly through her muffled bliss of moments ago. It was a voice. Who's voice? Snow asked. Prince, her brain insisted.

What was he saying? Then it suddenly reached her comprehension. It was her name.

"Snow! Snow! Can you hear me Snow? What happened? Can you talk?" His voice was urgent yet gentle.

Snow's brain seemed to switch on, Prince's words slicing into her vague bubble of confused thoughts. She tilted her head upwards, becoming aware of a dull throbbing within her temple. She brought her tingling fingers to her head, rubbing upon it, attempting to soothe the internal pain. Her lips cracked in dehydration, as she heard the hoarse whisper of her voice.

"Prince?"

Relief visibly spilled onto his features- the lines of worry smoothing. His downturned lips transformed into a hopeful smile.

"You can hear me! Wait... you can hear me, right?" Prince seemed abruptly unsure once more, peering at Snow, awaiting the confirmation. She nodded in response.

"Gosh, what happened?" Prince asked, worry sliding smoothly back into his tone. He removed himself from his kneeling position on the ground, moving away. Snow only continued to look up at the wood, attempting to salivate any remaining moisture in her mouth; there was none.