Chapter 16- Faces of the Past

Hello my awesome readers! I'm so sorry I've made you guys wait so long for this chapter... my real life is really trying to thwart my wattpad life :(. So I apologize, and trust me, I am desperately trying. Please be patient! To all those who are still following along Snow's story, thank you. You guys are amazing. Enjoy ;).

------------------------------------------------------

Snow crept towards the door, Prince's words resounding in her head: "beware of strangers". She attempted in vain to find a window that would allow some sort of hint of the visitor outside. There were none in sight. Luckily for her, the knocks became impatient, a voice now accompanying them- a voice she could recognize for miles.

It was Andrew.

"Hello?" His voice was full of authority. "Please, I come from the palace. I bring...news,"he said. "The Princess, has unfortunately...perished." He choked out the last word, it's harshness catching him mid-sob. Snow's expression grew anxious- the Queen had told the people Snow was dead? The people had known there was a princess in the palace? Did they even try to see her? Did they even consider her to be a possible escape from the Queen's reign? Snow felt irrational anger bubble up inside her- anger that she instantly quashed. No. The people must've tried. The Queen's magic must've simply overpowered them.

"Hello? Is anyone in there?" Andrew's muffled voice reached Snow again.

"Please can you open the do-" Snow crossed the short distance to the door, swinging it open. Andrew's voice quelled mid-sentence, his mouth forming a perfect 'o'. His eyes widened as he slowly took in? Snow's presence. For a moment he could only blink. Snow steadily took in his appearance as well, her eyes snagging at the beautifully carved bow tight in his grasp. A worrying thought crossed her mind. Had he meant to hurt her?

"Sn...sn...Snow," Andrew stuttered. "You're...ummm," he looked away uncomfortably. "...alive."

"What are you doing here?" Snow blurted, her curiosity getting ahead of her. "Why are you here? Why is the Queen telling the people I'm dead? Did the people even know I existed?" The questions each left her tongue in a hurry, her thirst for information rendering them almost incoherent.

"Woah." Andrew put his hands in front of him, as a sign of surrender, lifting the bow as he did so. Snow felt herself flinch involuntarily. Andrew, noticing this, immediately dropped his arms.

"I was umm..."he cleared a his throat,"looking for you."

"But...but..." Snow was overcome with confusion, his resolute expression as he brought up the knife, resurfacing within her mind.

"I'll explain- please- can I come in? It's freezing," said Andrew, stamping his feet together in a meagre attempt to warm them. Snow's suspicion was raised, though she begrudgingly sidestepped, allowing him a path into the sanctuary of the cabin's warmth. Andrew took his chance, striding through the threshold, leaving Snow to gently close the door, shutting off the cool draught the winter offered. Andrew stood within the heath, facing Snow.

"Why are you here?"said Snow icily. "The last I saw you, you were prepared to murder me!"

"They were the Queen's orders!" Andrew's deep voice overcame Snow's cold tone at almost ease.

"That doesn't make it any more justifiable! I thought you were a friend!" Snow yelled, her voice going shrill at the last word.

"We haven't spoken in-what? Ten years?" Andrew retorted. She crossed her arms, as if they would protect her from Andrew's words.

"Oh! So after ten years, any amount of childhood friendship is just automatically erased from your memory?"Snow accused. Despite the argument, she felt a bubble of sadness, almost ???(emotion) well within her.