Chapter 3

Chapter 3

<Gavin Forrester>

She walks into the party and looks back towards me, waiting by the door.

"Are you going to come in?" Victoria smiles and holds out her hand.

"Before you do this think about how it would look to your friends if you walked into your engagement party on the arm of a man who's not your fiancée, even if he's more attractive...?" I grin arrogantly and wait for her answer.

"Fine, but when you come in, you work at my office and your name is Hunter. Am I clear?" She smirks and turns back to go into her party.

I watch her walk away and I rub my nose nonchalantly. Talon's voice crosses my mind.

Make her suffer.

Those are the words that keep ringing in my head but I don't think I'll be able to make good on that promise. I look into the party and catch Victoria's eye. She winks and gestures for me to come in.

Gosh, she's beautiful; why does she have to go, Talon? I'd be happy to get rid of Carter for you but not her.

I roll my eyes and walk into the room where at least fifty people are already socializing and sipping on champagne. I pick up a fluke and walk over to her. A man with blonde hair and a broad frame drapes his arm over Victoria as I approach. She gives me a smile and pulls me closer into her group. I take a sip of champagne and direct my gaze at all of the people now surrounding me.

I'm supposed to kill her, not meet her friends.

"Mom, dad, this is my co-worker, Hunter. He helped me on this big project at work and now he's joined my team." She guides my arm and makes me shake hands with her parents.

"I'm Hunter." I say as I shake her dad's hand.

His grip is firm and almost suspicious.

"It's a pleasure to meet you all." I say with my most charming smile.

I take her mom's hand and place a small kiss on the top of it. She blushes pink as I release it.

"Well, it's a pleasure to meet you too." Her mom places a hand on her shoulder and smiles at me. "I need another drink; Edward will you come with me?"

Her husband, Edward, trails after her, still giving me a suspicious glance before turning around.

"I'm Carter, Victoria's fiancée." The man holds out his hand and I shake it firmly.

I know who you are, she spoke so highly of you at the bar when she was downing tequila like a freshmen college student.

"Hunter, her coworker." I smile but my eyes still hold an air of suspicion.

"It's very nice of you to attend, Hunter. Please excuse me." Carter glares as his phone begins ringing.

"He's a very dynamic human being." I smirk as Victoria releases a breath.

"I'm so lucky, aren't I?" She rolls her eyes and takes another sip of her champagne.

"Luck is for gambling, love, not marriage." I smirk again and set my empty fluke down.

"I've never been gambling..." She states thoughtfully.

"It's no fun...I lost almost $50,000 dollars in one game." I let out a huff at the memory.

"How'd you keep it?" Her eyes widen in curiosity as she meets my gaze.

"You want truth or lies?" I hold out two fists and make her pick one.