Chapter 15

Chapter 15

<Gavin Forrester>

Victoria’s been asleep on my couch for at least an hour. She looks so pretty when she’s sleeping. She gets this small smile on her lips and her eyes flutter as she dreams. I run my fingers soothingly through her hair as she continues to sleep. I’m glad she fell asleep here because there’s no way in hell I’d let her go back to Carter. I check the time on my phone and yawn at the fact that it’s almost 2 o’clock in the morning. I decide that Victoria needs a more comfortable place to sleep than my worn-out couch. I pick her up and carry her off to my room where the more comfortable king-sized bed is situated. I struggle to pull back the comforter and then I set Victoria down on one half of the bed. I tuck the covers under her chin and then I lay down on the other side of her but I don’t fall asleep. There are too many thoughts in my head for me to even think about sleep.

Victoria is getting too close to figuring everything out. She already knows Carter is involved with drugs and she knows that I’m a hired murderer. Granted, she doesn’t know who I’m supposed to be murdering but her knowing my job is enough to scare me. What scares me more is that she still trusts me, even after finding out that I’m an assassin.

Why does she still trust me? Why is she pretending that that conversation didn’t even happen?

The vibration of a phone brings me out of my thoughts. I check the caller I.D. and see that the devil himself is calling me. I press the ‘answer’ button and stand up, moving over to my door frame with my back to Victoria.

“Hey, Satan.” I chuckle a little and hear Talon grunt from the other side.

“If I’m Satan then I guess you’re living in hell, Forrester.”

“Glad to see you have such a great sense of humor at almost 2 o’clock in the morning.” I step out into the hallway and pull my bedroom door closed.

“I’m just calling to say that her rehearsal dinner is in about a month. Is she dead?” He says casually.

“Talon, I think you’d know if I killed her.” I mutter indifferently.

“Is she at your apartment?” My blood freezes as those words leave his mouth.

“No,” I say slowly.

“I’m glad to know you’re so truthful with me because Carter has a very different story to tell.” Talon laughs darkly as my fists clench. “See he says that Victoria ran away and he followed her to your house”

Damn, that boy needs a hobby…

“And you should believe him because?” I say a little louder than I should have.

Victoria stirs in the bed behind me but I don’t hear her get up.

“It seems like something you’d do…let Victoria stay with you even though she’s marrying Carter.” Talon chuckles, waiting for me to challenge him.

“He abused Victoria…He beat her and burned her with a cigarette.” I mutter, my tone laced with venom.

I’m not even sure why I said that. I mean it’s not like Talon cares about what happens to Victoria. He just wants her dead.

“I really don’t care. I want her dead; have you forgotten that fact?” Talon’s tone is completely indifferent which bothers me more than it should since I’m already aware that he doesn’t love her.

“How can a father want his own flesh and blood dead?” I say, fighting to control my temper.

“You already know why I want her dead.” He states simply.