Chapter 14

Chapter 14

<Gavin Forrester>

I turn over and look at the alarm clock on my bed side table. The red numbers are flashing 5:00 P.M. My eyes widen a little but my body begs for me to just go back to sleep. I guess Talon's conversation didn't scare me as much as I thought it would.

I ignore my body's urge for sleep and I swing my legs over the side of my bed. I grab my phone off of the floor where I dropped it in frustration after my conversation with Talon. I check my notifications and there are 16 unread messages. I unlock my phone and go to the green messaging app.

All 16 of them are from Talon each with a different threat should I decide to not kill Victoria. I roll my eyes and delete all of the messages from him. I stand up and grab my towel before going into the bathroom to take a shower.

I turn the faucet all the way to hot and step in. The burning hot water scorches my body, making me forget everything else for a while. I step out onto the bath mat half an hour later and wrap my towel tightly around my body. I run a comb quickly through my hair and then step out into my freezing bedroom. I check the clock and discover that it's actually been almost an hour and a half as opposed to the half hour I thought it had been.

Time flies when you're burning every inch of skin off of your body.

I pull on a pair of black sweats and a gray t-shirt before going into the kitchen. I open up every cabinet, looking for something edible. All I discover is a few bottles of hard liquor and a box of crackers.

"No, wonder I'm in such good shape." I chuckle and lock up the liquor in my alcohol cabinet.

I walk out into the living room and plop down on the couch, turning the TV on in the process. I flip through a few channels until I discover a football game. I watch that for a few minutes but it gets boring because I don't really care what team wins and that's half the fun of sports.

I flip through a few more channels and come across a very interesting news interview. Now, I'm not usually one to watch the news but this interview is particularly eye catching. Carter Jacobson is seated in an oversized leather chair while a news reporter asks him all sorts of questions. They range from what he's going to do with his dad's business to what he ate for breakfast.

"Real hard hitting news piece right there. Oh, and he eats crack cocaine for breakfast, just so you know."

It's like they're trying to set him up a profile on a dating website or something...

I roll my eyes and almost change the channel but then the reporter asks him a very interesting question.

"Mr. Jacobson, what are your thoughts on the many drug scandals going on in this city?" The reporter gives him a stern look as Carter tries to formulate a response.

Oh, this should be good...I mean considering you're the source of all these scandals, Carter.

"I think drugs are immoral and downright wrong." He says quickly.

That spineless, lying, little bastard.

"Please elaborate." The reporter scribbles something down on her notepad before looking back at Carter.

"Drug rings use women and children to help make their products. These animals make money selling merchandise that can and will kill people. They expose their employees to all sorts of danger and people, perfectly good people, get involved with things that end up killing them. Drugs are a fatal combination of chemicals and they cause senseless killing. I just hope someday people will use their brains and realize that drugs are not worth it." Carter mutters in a final tone.