Chapter 20

Chapter 20

<Victoria Grayson>

I'm running, faster and faster, to try and outrun the men that are chasing after me. It's like the night I went out to the theater with Gavin, except this time he won't come and save me.

I remember what my dad always told me if I had to get away from bad people. He'd always say to stay out in the open where there was more chance someone would see me and to stay away from alleyways because I'll never know whether they dead end until I'm inside of it and by then it's too late.

I keep running down the street, screaming at the top of my lungs, hoping someone will hear but this whole town seems to be deserted. I trip over a broken up piece of the sidewalk and fall, putting my hands out in front of me to stop the fall. I hear my wrist crack as I hit the concrete. The men hover over me and I scream louder, my voice becoming hoarser with each scream.

"Shut up." One of the men snaps as he bends down towards me.

I wish I had my pepper spray with me.

I look him straight in the eye and scream even louder than before. He slaps me across the face and that's when I grab his wrist with my only good hand. I dig my nails deeply into the visible vein on his wrist, trying my hardest to cut it. He wails out in pain but I don't let go. Then one of his comrades kicks me hard in the stomach causing me to let go and clutch my still tender stomach.

I'd gotten my stiches out only a few days ago and was told to take it easy. I don't think this is what the doctors had in mind when they said 'take it easy'. Tears well up in my eyes and I collapse on the sidewalk.

Why can't everybody leave me alone? Since when did I become a target for every criminal in the state of New York?

"Don't cry, this won't be that bad." The man says as he takes off his jacket.

I take off one of my stilettos and throw it at his face. It hits his eye and he stumbles backwards, a string of profanities leaving his mouth as he does. The third man gives me an evil grin that almost resembles Freddie Krueger. My eyes widen in fear as he bends down and leans towards me. He straddles me so I can't move and brings his lips near mine.

"Don't you dare try to do anything." He glares and places his lips on mine.

Tears fall down my face as I struggle to break free from under him. I try to scratch at his face but he catches my only good hand and holds it as he continues to violate my face. I feel the throw up enter my mouth as the man lets go of me to catch his breath.

I try to lift my cracked wrist but I wince in pain every time I try to move it. The man's about to go down to kiss me again when a pair of hands, not mine, grab him around the neck and squeeze very tightly. The criminal is turning purple and soon enough his eyes roll back in his head, signaling me that he's dead. The person who suffocated him pushes the dead body off of me and comes to my side. I half expect to see Gavin but it's one of his friends. Blaze, I think Gavin said his name was.

"Are you okay, Victoria?" Blaze asks in a whisper.

I shake my head and start crying again.

"I don't know what he would've done to me if you hadn't come." I say in a strained voice as I cradle my wrist in my other hand.

"What happened?" He asks as he sits down next to me.

I feel oddly safe with Blaze next to me. I try to sit up but my now bruised stomach protests. I wince a little and then lay back down on the cold concrete of the sidewalk.