CHAPTER 14

CHAPTER 14: ANOTHER VICTIM

FEBUARY 23 2011

SHE HAD LOST THE TRIAL.

Now, she's serving 20 to life in the Virginia Correctional Center for Women.

She remembered staring into Agent Rossi's eyes as her wrists were handcuffed behind her back. As she was led out of the court room.

But now, something's changed.

Now, she may have a chance to prove her innocence.

Because here they were, two years, there's been another victim with the same M.O.

Stabbed twelve times. House was set on fire afterwards.

And here's the kicker.

The victim was someone she knew. Someone she used to be close to. It was the person who sent her to jail in the first place. Who sealed her fate.

John Davis.

Mitchell remembered seeing it on the news. Seeing his face. Her stepfather's. Then a picture of her appeared. They retold her story.

The next day, she got a visit from the FBI. The same team that arrested her two years ago.

She sat in a room, a metal table in front of her. They didn't handcuff her. She didn't pose a threat. It took her two years to gain the trust of the prison employees.

She shuffled a deck of cards in her hand.

It reminded her of two years ago when she was first arrested.

The door opened and the familiar face of Agent Rossi entered along with a blonde, but not Jareau, "Let me guess, the killings have started again," She asked, laying out the deck of cards in her hand to set up solitaire,

"And do you know why that is?" Rossi asked, sitting down across from her,

"Maybe because I didn't do it." She replied, playing the game in front of her, "You should have had more faith in me Rossi."

"I did believe in you, Mitchell. But all the evidence pointed towards you." Rossi defended

"But it wasn't me. Rossi, the killer is back. It's obvious that it wasn't me."

"We can't rule you out yet."

Mitchell scoffed and shuffled the cards again, leaning back in her chair, "You can check with the warden. I haven't contacted anyone. I haven't done anything that would suggest that I did it." She leaned forward, "You were at the trial, Rossi. You study the behaviour of killers. Did I act like them?"

The blonde's eyes widened at the mention of Rossi being at her trial. Mitchell smirked, "What, he didn't tell you about that?"

"You were scared, Mitchell. You'd lost everything-"

"Damn right, I did." Mitchell scoffed, "I was betrayed. My stepfather said I was standing over my mother's body, but I swear on her grave and Rachel's that it wasn't me."

"It doesn't explain-"

"I know it doesn't!" She exclaimed, "You think I don't know? I've spent two years trying to figure it out, but I don't get it." Mitchell sighed, "I don't get it."

Agents Hotchner, Morgan, and Doctor Reid stood behind the one way glass, watching.

The warden sighed, "She's been a model citizen in here. Does everything the guard tells her without resisting. Keeps to her self mostly." He crossed his arms, "If I didn't know any better, I would say she didn't do it."

"Has anybody tried contacting her? Send any letters?" Agent Hotch questioned,

"There's been a few. Comes once a year. Only a few sentences, not very revealing." The warden answered,

"We'll need to see those." Agent Hotch stated and the warden nodded,

"Of course."

The warden left and Reid narrowed her eyes, "I don't think she did it."

"You believe her?" Agent Morgan asked the younger FBI agent,

"She keeps eye contact, doesn't have a tell that says that she's lying. Either she didn't do it, or believes that she didn't." Dr. Reid responded,

The warden returned with the letters, "Here are the two that she's received. No return address, and she never made an attempt to respond."

The first letter only had two words,

'miss you'

The three agents glanced at each other before opened the second one.

'do you miss me?'

"Did the letters arrive on the same day?" Agent Morgan asked the warden,

He nodded, "November 14th. Which is her-"

"Birthday." Hotch finished.

Spencer Reid stared at the first one and the other two noticed, "What is is, Reid?"

He ran his fingers over the letters, "I've seen this before." The younger agent looked up at the two, "During the initial investigation, Mitchell had the same letter in her room. 'Miss you'. The same words, same handwriting."

"Are you sure?" Agent Hotch asked,

"I have an eidetic memory. Of course I'm sure." He responded. Spencer glanced at Hotch, "Can I go in there?"

"Yes, of course."

The door opened and Mitchell looked up at the younger agent who had entered, "Reid? What is is?" Rossi asked before the agent placed a piece of paper down in front of her on the table, messing up the cards,

"You received the same letter around your 18th birthday, didn't you?" He asked, staring right into her eyes.

It made her nervous. In a weird way.

Mitchell gulped, "Yeah. It was in my locker with a birthday present."

"What was the present?" Reid asked,

She reached towards her neck, "It was a necklace with my birthstone. Citrine."

"Do you know who it was from?" Rossi questioned her,

"At first I thought it was from my boyfriend at the time, but he said it wasn't. I didn't really have time to question it before everything happened. I never found out who gave it to me." Mitchel answered,

"You know them. And they know you. They know your birthday, where you live, your schedule. They put you in here to punish you." Reid stated,

"What?" The three of them asked at the same time.

Without another glance, Reid left the room. He grabbed his cell phone and called Penelope Garcia, the tech analyst,

"Garcia, I need you to dig deep on Mitchell Diaz."