CHAPTER 13

CHAPTER 13: THE JURY FIND YOU...

JANUARY 19 2009

HERE SHE WAS. STANDING IN FRONT OF A JUDGE AND JURY.

Sitting behind her was her ex stepfather John Davis. A few rows back was Agent David Rossi. She had given him a nod and thankful smile when she saw him after first entering the court room.

"Miss Diaz, you are being charged for five counts of murder of the first degree. How do you plead?" Judge Millington asked,

Mitchell looked over at her lawyer, who nodded, "Go ahead."

"Not guilty, your honour." Mitchell stated and everybody's mouth dropped open in shock.

"All right." Judge Millington leaned back in her chair, "Then we shall begin. The prosecution may start."

A charming man with swept back blonde hair and a face and body stance that screamed 'I used daddy's money to get to where I am now' stood and approached the jury. "Hal Greensworth, Margaret Fadler, Robert Faltmen, Rachel Wilson, Mila Diaz. All these people came from different backgrounds. Mr. Greensworth was a policemen, Miss Fadler was a child services agent, Mr. Faltmen was a child psychologist. Miss Wilson was a high school student. And Mrs. Diaz was an insurance agent. But there's one thing that connects all these people." The prosecutor turned towards her, "All of their lives were cut short. Murdered in places they considered safe. Stabbed in the chest multiple times before the building they were in was set on fire." He turned back to the jury, "You are all here today to bring justice to the family of the victims." He nodded at the judge and jury, "Thank you."

Judge Millington motioned to her lawyer, "And the defendant?"

Mitchell's lawyer, Jane Favman, rose, "Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the young woman right here, is destined for greatness. For success. Vice President of the student council of her high school, captain of the cheerleading squad, scholarship to Georgetown University. So, why would she throw all of that away? Yes, these murders are horrific, but Miss Diaz did not commit any crime. She was a victim just as much as these people listed are. She lost her best friend and her mother. Someone needs to pay for the loss that this community has obtained. But she is not the one that needs to pay. And I'm hoping by the end of this trial, you will see that, too." She nodded at the jury and judge before heading back to the table where Mitchell sat, "Thank you."

Mitchell twiddled with her fingers nervously as the trial continued. Pictures of the victims and the crimes were displayed on the screen, and it made Mitchell sick to her stomach. It was one thing seeing what they put on the news, but the actual crime scene photos were terrifying.

Then it was time for the eyewitness testimony. John Davis took to the stand. He stared at her with anger in his eyes.

"What is your relationship to the victim and the defendant?" The prosecutor, Joe Machman asked John,

"Mila Davis was my wife. And Mitchell was my step daughter."

"And how was your relationship? Was is healthy? Normal?" Joe questioned.

"It was normal." John shrugged, "We never fought. She was older when I married her mother, so she was more accepting of it all."

"Can you tell us what you were doing leading up to the crime on March 18th?"

John nodded, "I left for work, the same time I always did. About 8:50. I was going to buy a coffee before work when I noticed that I left my wallet at home. So, I turned around and went back home to grab it." He paused, "That's when I found her."

"What exactly did you see?" Joe asked,

"I went upstairs, and when I entered my bedroom, the first thing..." He choked up, "The first thing I saw was Mila's body on the floor."

"Did you see anyone else?"

John nodded, "Yes."

"Who, John?"

"I saw Mitchell standing over Mila, holding a knife. There was blood everywhere." John answered, tears in his eyes,

"And you were sure it was Mitchell?" Joe questioned,

John nodded against and sniffed, "Definitely."

"What happened after that, John?"

"She smiled at me and went out the window. Then I called the police." John answered.

"Thanks you." Joe turned to the judge, "That'll be all."

Mitchell made eye contact with John and that's when she knew. She'd lose the trial.

She'll lose everything.