CHAPTER 07

CHAPTER 07: TARGETED

MITCHELL WAS BOTHERED BY THE ARGUMENT between her and Rachel for the rest of the night. It was always there in the back of her head, and she felt guilty.

She stared at herself in the mirror and sighed. She felt a bit dizzy and sat down on the edge of the tub. She should really apologise.

Suddenly, Mitchell heard screams. She rushed out of the bathroom to see people running outside, "Fire!" She heard them yell,

Mitchell followed everyone outside and Daniel quickly found her, "There you are, I've been looking for you!"

"Has someone called the fire department?" Mitchell asked,

"Yeah, Jacob called, they're on their way." Daniel answered,

"Where's Rachel?" She asked, looking around,

"We thought she would be with you." Daniel responded,

"You mean she's still in there?"

"She's probably in the crowd."

"Daniel, this is her house!" Mitchell hissed, "Her parents are going to kill us!"

Kids quickly started ditching, not wanting to be caught intoxicated when the police and firefighters arrived. Daniel and Mitchell stayed, but were still worried about Rachel. Mitchell kept trying to call her friend, but not able to reach her.

"Relax, babe, she probably went off with a guy." Daniel had his arm wrapped around her,

"It's her house and her party, Daniel. She wouldn't just ditch." Mitchell stated,

"She's done it before."

Mitchell called Rachel's parents, informing them of the situation. Soon the fire engines arrived and they began to put out the fire. 

Mitchell and Daniel were separated to give a statement to the police. They were explaining how they didn't know how the fire originated. How it was just a little get together with a few friends.

Neighbours had gathered around to see what was going on. Just as Rachel's parents pulled up, Mitchell had turned to see EMT's pulling a gurney out. There was a body in a zipped up black bag. 

"Is that...?" Mitchell began before she heard Rachel's mother's cries.

She watched as the older woman broke down, her husband grabbing her. 

Tears began falling down Mitchell's face. Rachel was in there the whole time. Mitchell had time to save her.

"Mitchell!" She turned to see her mother rushing up to her, "Oh, baby, what happened?"

Mitchell shook her head, "I don't know, mama. There was a fire and now... Rachel's dead." Her mother wrapped her arms around her as Mitch sobbed, "I should have gone back in there, I should have made sure."

"Look at me, conejito," Her mother pulled back and held Mitchell's face in her hands, "This isn't your fault."

"But she's dead."