Chapter 6

The City of Luxembourg was busy, life seemed louder than it did back in Remich. There is a particular type of distinctive buzz that our town was missing. Buildings were massive, the streets were crowded with cars and bikes combined.

"Do a pose for Instagram!" Jess demands, holding her phone towards me. She startles my admiration for the historic building that is now called the University of Luxembourg. It is beautifully built. A story that Luxembourg can tell through the existence of the century-old architecture. The complex is rich in cultural values, the patterns of the brick and the breadth and size of the building reminds me of a citadel. There is a certain type of Romanesque feel that I can't help but fall in love with.

It had been almost 3 months since Jessica called a truce, life seemed to fall into place once again. I wasn't having as much trouble sleeping anymore. The dark didn't haunt me, I didn't feel sick to my core, and that man's hollow eyes don't appear as often. My nightmares are less frequent.

My summer break was uneventful, ordinary, something I'm glad to boast about.

I roll my eyes at Jess, "No...I am not going to pose for Instagram" I hated social media, you wouldn't catch me dead being posted online for people to judge. She frowns and takes a picture anyway, muttering something about being candid. I don't pay too much attention, still in awe of the school.

Today marks a milestone. I've made the top 5% of my class and earned a scholarship to obtain my Masters in International Relations, today was my orientation day. A bittersweet day, to say the least.

Both Jessica and Henry decide to come bid me farewell. The University was located in the heart of the City of Luxembourg. Over the last couple of weeks, both Jessica and Henry helped me settle into my new loft. I was moving my life to the city, a significant change that I never thought I could do. But here I was, dressed in a mid sleeved forest green dress that hugs my body up until my waist before the dress flares and reaches just above my knees. It grabs more attention than I'm comfortable with, but Jessica is convinced that it looks perfect on me. That I need to look stunning on my first day of orientation. My hair is in loose waves and eyes free of glasses. She banned me from wearing my glasses when I'm wearing a dress that 'captivates my Emerald eyes' as Jess would describe them.

She seemed more excited to dress me up than I did for my orientation. She was practically shrieking when she opened my invitation letter when it asked me to dress formally. It was an exclusive event for only Post Grad students who were admitted through a scholarship. She instantly went online for inspiration on what I should wear. Unfortunately, I was stuck shopping for a good week with her, something I detest. But here I was in my 3-inch heels, prettied up.

Jessica sighs when she looks at me, her eyes are red, on the verge of a serious sob fest when we're stopped right in front of the entrance. This was an end to our story...after seeing her 24/7. We were finally parting, going our own way. Jessica found a job back home in Remich, it never interested her in taking her Masters, and I don't blame her. It isn't for everyone. I avoided eye contact with her because I didn't want to look like a mess on the first day of school.

"You look gorgeous," Henry's voice comes in, his one arm wrapping around my shoulders. He wasn't too upset since we only saw each other over summer and winter breaks anyway.

"Don't go giving people heart attacks" a chuckle leaves him when he warns me.

I'm upset that they couldn't be with me for orientation, but it was a student only event. We do a trio hug, my glimpse of Jessica's trembling lips breaks me.

"I gotta go," it came out as a whisper, even when I wanted to sound confident. If I stayed any longer, Jessica's hard work would've gone to waste, my make up would've been smudged and hair a mess. They both kiss my head, I don't dare to look at Jess. Even when I hear her sniffles.