Chapter 17

Author's Note: Hello Everyone, it's been a while. Life gets to you sometimes, but sometimes fantasizing and dreaming is the medicine you need for this crazy world. 

Please let me know what you think and don't forget to like <3 

--

 Alex takes me by the hand, out the wooden doors. He's got the blanket over me, making sure I stay as warm as possible.

When we're outside in the cold, the wind is absent. It makes it easier to deal with the chilly night. I didn't mind anyway, the view ahead of me was heart-stopping. Never in my life have I seen anything as beautiful as the skies were tonight, no artwork can go against the scenery I was so lucky to witness.

"Like what you see?" Alex's voice is soothing, he's looking up at the skies with me.

"This..." I'm speechless, I didn't know what to even say.

"I know...It's quite a sight. The Aurora Borealis, only the coldest and clearest nights, do you see it as beautiful as this."

"I didn't think I'd get to see this, at least not in my lifetime." I wholeheartedly admitted to him, as I watched the bright neon green dancing lights gently move above us. I've seen this in movies, and in pictures. I've heard about them, but it does not do justice, not from where I stand. It was enigmatic.

Alex ushers me to take a seat on the wooden log, a couple of meters away from the cabin. There are only pine trees and oak branches accompanying us, but the view was unobstructed, a clear view of the strange phenomena that reminds me of a Van Gogh painting.

"I thought this would be an excellent way of apologizing to you for disappearing without warning."

"Hm, this would make up for it, I guess."

"Legends say that the glowing lights are spirits coming by to visit the living. Once in a while, they come — during the crispest and brightest nights. They come to warm your soul during evenings that are as chilling as tonight, the kind that runs through your bone." He explains, and I can see it. I can see Alex's gaze on me.

When I look back at him, there's a gentle smile ingrained on his perfect face. My nose scrunches.

"What?"

"It's just nice to see you smile in excitement like this," he explains. I was overjoyed, and it showed. What on earth was he doing to me? Are business partners supposed to make you feel like this? Or whatever the hell we were? Our secluded, confused friendship?

"When I asked you about the afterlife that night. I knew this was somewhere I had to show you. Those people you mentioned, the ones that have shaped the world into what it is today. They can see and know that their passion and actions have made a difference."

Alex places a hand on mine, keeping them warm between his. He takes a moment to muster up the courage to whatever he wanted to say next.

"I'm glad you told me about your father. It wasn't planned, but this is your chance Ellie, you can talk to him. He's here, dancing in the skies, visiting you." There's a touch of a smile, his eyes soft, as mesmerizing as it was the first time I met him.

His hold on me tightens when he feels my hands trembling, nervous about what he's asked me to do. It's hard for me to do so — I want to do it, I genuinely do, but the lump in my throat makes it hard. He nods, encouraging me, but I couldn't do it. I can feel it, the hot tears threatening to escape me.

"Mr. Webber, did you know your daughter is enrolled in a Master's program? I think she's grown up to be a beautiful, strong independent young woman." Alex's voice is strong and confident, piercing through the still air. He speaks as though there was someone there, listening.