10.

"It's our last night in this beautiful city, what are we doing?" Chase asked as they finished eating at this amazing restaurant Morgan showed them.

"I'm thinking we just explore, there's so many shops and amazing things to see," Jordyn said.

"I have somewhere I want to go first, you guys don't have to wait up for me," Nova replied, looking over at her brother, he already knew.

"Everything okay?" Rudy rested his hand on her knee, an attempt to comfort her.

"Yeah, everything's fine," she nodded, getting her stuff.

"I'll see you guys later," she smiled and scurried off.

Bailey waited for Nova to fully leave the restaurant to say anything, "What's that about?"

Shawn and Sarah exchanged knowing looks, "She's going to visit their mom." Sarah spoke first.

"Oh, you aren't going with?" Cline asked, Rudy knew what was coming, it was the way Nova talked about her mom.

"No, I'm okay," Shawn nodded.

"She's probably going to miss you," Austin pointed out.

"She's dead, isn't she?" Rudy stared down at his hands.

"How do you know? Did Nova say something?" Morgan asked.

Rudy shook his head, "It's the way she speaks about her, she uses past tense with everything."

"Yeah, she died four years ago," Shawn said. "It's really hard on us because we were so close to our mom, but Nova has a harder time than I do, she's very sensitive."

"You don't have to tell us anything if you don't feel comfortable," JD tried.

"You guys should know, she was my mom too so Nova wouldn't be mad if I said something. Just, don't bring it up to her, let her come to any of you," Shawn sighed.

"You don't have to do this," Sarah whispered.

"I'm good, Sarah. Anyway, we had a lovely mother when I say she was the kindest soul, she was the kindest soul, never thought about herself, gave Nova and I everything she could, she was our superhero. She gave us so many life lessons and advice, she was an amazing mom, I can and will go on and on. Anyway, Nova and I could talk about her for days, my dad was a piece of shit. He hit us, he hit my mom, she tired to leave him, but he always did fucked up shit so she couldn't," Shawn stopped because the next part hurt him still.

Sarah grabbed his hand in a comforting way, Shawn looked over at her and gave her a sad smile. "So I was at football practice one night and Nova was home, my dad was plastered I guess. I don't know the full story, Nova would have to tell you the details because I think I repressed them. Anyway, he beat the shit out of Nova and then he uh-" Shawn choked up a little. "He killed our mom. He bashed her skull in to the point they had to do a DNA test on her hair, her teeth were just destroyed."

The group didn't know how to react except complete sadness, Sarah was hugging him while crying. "Nova saw our mom die in front of her, she didn't deserve that, Nova is as kind as our mom and she has seen and been through hell. We are really close and connected to our mom, Nova is a spitting image of her and she acts like her. Our dad is in prison for what happened, it's been Nova and I since she was nineteen

"Holy shit, dude. I don't even know what to say other than I'm sorry and I'm always here for you and Nova, you guys are some of the warmest people I have met, you don't deserve this," Drew said first. Bailey couldn't talk, she was crying on Morgan.

"Jesus Christ, so Nova is visiting the grave alone?" Rudy asked.

"I would say something, but I'm crying," Cline said, Bailey just pointed and nodded.