Better Late Than Never

|Paul's POV|

As Steph left the office, I turned my attention to Zach.

"You know, for the longest time I always wanted a son. Here I am with my spitting image and I feel lost. I feel like I don't know what to do. I'm sure you sense that."

He didn't respond.

"I can't keep doing this with you Zach. It's not helping you or myself to let this continue to go on. You're my son. I am your father. I am the parent and under my roof, you follow rules, no questions asked. There's certain rules that are just non-negotiable. When you're told to do something, you do it. You don't go and look for ways around it and then ask for forgiveness once you get caught."

"Dad..."

I held up my hand.

"No more excuses Zach. I know in Florida you got away with a lot, a hell of a lot I, Steph, or anyone in this family damn sure wouldn't put up with. I've been trying to give you space, taking a different approach with you. I don't often ignore sneaky, underhanded behavior. Your sisters can attest to that."

He nodded.

"Have you ever been spanked before?"

All of a sudden he started coughing. Really Zach?

"Zachary!"

"Wait, you're actually going to spank me. I haven't been spanked since before my step-dad died. I was like 10."

"Well, that's about to change. Stand up, pants down, lean over the desk."

He sat there staring at me to see if I was joking.

"You have a hearing problem?"

"Uh, no. I just didn't think you were serious. Dad, come on. I'm 17, almost 18 years old. I'm too old for a spanking. Ground me, anything but this."

"Between the lying, being sneaky, the attitude, and disrespect, you're not getting out of this. If I have to repeat myself, you'll only make it harder on yourself. So, get up. It's late and I'm ready to go to bed.

Still, he sat there. Looks like we have to do this the hard way. While my son is pretty strong, he's no match for me. I lifted him out of the chair.

"Okay, okay. I'll do it."

"Too late. I gave you a chance to willingly do something, but you just have to make things difficult."

I went to my closet and grabbed a belt. No way in hell I was going to break my hand spanking him. Plus, he needed to feel and understand this is not a game. This took me back to the last time my dad had spanked me. That was over 30 years ago, but I still remember it vividly. I had stayed out late, just like my son, came home drunk. You can piece together the rest.

"This is long overdue Zach, but hopefully, you'll think twice about your actions in the future."

I swung the belt and landed the first lash. This spanking was quick and efficient. Since I was using my belt, I didn't need to prolong it. Once I was finished his knees buckled and he fell to the ground, crying, saying he's sorry. I helped him up and pulled him into my arms.

"I'm sorry dad, I won't do it again."

That's what all the kids say. For the most part, it's true. Only time will tell with Zach.

"I'm sure you won't. I love you son."

"Love you too," he replied, his voice cracking.

"Alright, go on up to your room."