Actions Have Consequences

|Paul's POV|

I sat down behind my desk as Zach sat in one of the chairs. He didn't seem too nervous or even upset for that matter. Seems he has his temper in check. Let's keep it that way.

"This isn't a conversation we can avoid. You knew there would be consequences for your actions. You knew that even before you got into a fight with that kid."

"I know."

"What did I tell you last night?"

"I don't remember."

"You sure about that. You have a pretty good memory. Think real hard about the conversation we had last night."

"You said to leave it alone and keep my cool," he mumbled.

"Speak up. I can't hear you."

"Dad..."

"Zach."

He sighed.

"You said to leave it alone and keep my cool."

"Not even 24 hours later, what did you do?"

"But dad..."

"Look, I get why you did it. I do. I have a younger sister and I was just as overprotective of her as you are of Rory. I love how quickly you two have bonded. Really, you've clicked with all the girls. It's good to know you're just as protective of them as I am. It actually puts my mind at ease when I'm out of town."

"So, what's the problem? I defended Aurora. That's what older brothers do. You just said you did it yourself. Yet, here I am in trouble."

"I know why you fought. What you didn't do was listen to what I told you. Guys are going to talk shit Zach. Hell, all people do. That kid was waiting for you to snap. You gave him what he wanted."

"How long am I supposed to sit there and let someone disrespect me."

"I didn't say it was easy, but you have more to lose than he does. You're an all-star athlete. A good head on your shoulders and your GPA speaks for itself. You have a lot of potential to go far in whatever you do. Stop letting people throw you off track."

He didn't say anything.

"I don't know all the details of what happened in Florida, but I got a gist of it. You maybe hanging with a different crowd now, but still you make it too easy for people to get you riled up. As you get older you need to learn how to pick your battles."

"Well, he should be lucky I didn't break his face."

"See, that's what I'm talking about."

"Dad, I get what you're saying. Whatever the punishment is I'll take it. I don't regret defending Rory. I'd do it for anyone in this family and think nothing of it."

"I know you would and the fact that you don't think anything of it is the problem. I don't want you to regret defending your sister. I honestly wouldn't expect you too. You need to be smarter and get your temper under control. You could have easily diffused the situation without even putting a hand on him. You and I both know that. Yet, you had to go and what? Teach him a lesson not to mess with you?"

He didn't say anything. He didn't have to.

"The punishment you're receiving is for you fighting and as a result getting suspended. You're officially grounded. No electronics, that includes all your games, your iPad, computer and your phone until further notice. Steph already has your phone. I'm telling you now, you ask her about it, she'll keep it longer than you're grounded for. Don't try the excuse of 'we need to reach you.' It won't work for her. She'll end your social life."