Chapter 28: Lamarque is Dead

"Christ.  ENJOLRAS!" I shouted after him, then clapped a hand over my mouth.  As far as I was concerned, we were in hiding now.  I quickly scanned for police, but they were nowhere to be seen.

Wiping at my eyes to rid them of the tears forming, I slowly headed back to the Café Musain, my thoughts in a whirlwind.

Oh, my Enjolras, don't you know I'm as scared as you are?  

I won't lose you...I promise...

I love him...but only on my own...

The streets grew dark as I sat in the back alley of the Café Musain, just outside of the back door.  I heard laughter coming from inside...Grantaire, or Joly perhaps.  I didn't feel like going inside. 

 I couldn't face the pain behind Enjolras's eyes.

And then, a glowing light.

I looked up in alarm.  Enjolras had the artifact, not me!  

But it wasn't the artifact.

Instead, I stared in wonder at the glowing silhouette of General Jean Maximillian Lamarque.

"General?  Is that you?  You---you're glowing!  I---no.  No, nononono this isn't happening..."

It was a shadow, a hallucination perhaps.  But there nonetheless.

"You've passed away already."

"Alas," the spirit replied.

"What have I done?" I said, heart heavy.  "Now the revolution is imminent, and Enjolras isn't strong enough to fight."

"You have done everything right.  War is not easy.  Enjolras knows this.  You have not broken his spirit, only strengthened it through your love for him.  I have come to deliver you a warning."

"But what-"

"My child, I have little time left.  Please listen to what I must say.  Things are not as they seem."

"Must you always talk in riddles," I stormed, crossing my arms and curling into myself.

"I understand you are sad, and losing hope.  Avenir, you have to keep going.  Remember why you are here.  You are here to save Enjolras, to ensure your brother's mission of saving the future is fulfilled, yes....

...However, things are not always as they seem.  Remember how you actually got here, to 1832 Paris.  How was that?"

"I wished...for Javert to feel pity."

Lamarque nodded solemnly.  "Have faith in the wish.  Remember what you wished for to actually get here."

"So...Javert is the key?"

His silhouette flickered. 

"No, Lamarque, please...don't leave."

"Things are not as they seem.  Love always wins in the end."  He smiled at me one last time, and raised one hand in farewell.  "Vive l'avenir."