Chapter 23: Been Through Their Lines

A/N: How am I doing?  This is a shorter one but that's because I decided to split one large chapter into two parts!  Enjoy!

~Vive La France~

On the other side of the door stood Javert.  He was holding his hat in his hands, his raptor gaze full of turmoil.

"Javert, what are you doing here?" I said, trying to keep my cool while also not letting him inside.

"A warning," he said.  "I need to talk to you and Enjolras."

"You can talk to me," I said, wary.

"Metias is suspicious.  He recognized Enjolras, and he has started an investigation against your friends.  He is sending two of his most trusted advisors out on the case."

"Who?"

"Myself," answered Javert.  "Myself and Jacques Enjolras." 

"Why are you telling me this?" I retorted.

"I am trying to warn you.  I am trying to help you get prepared.  I have access to the underground at the Bastille...where they keep their weapons.  Their war closet, in other words.  You need to go through their lines, count each man, each bullet...you need to know what you're up against.  I can take you there tonight."

"How do I know you won't take me straight to Metias?  This could just be a big trap."

"Then I wouldn't have sent Jacques clear across the other side of the country in search of his son."

"Javert, what are you saying?"

"I am saying that Jacques Enjolras has a supposed lead that his son is currently living in Avignon."

Enjolras had silently come up behind me, already putting back on his red tailcoat in preparation to leave.  "Inspector," he said, acknowledging Javert's presence.  My shoulders slumped.  If this was a trap, Enjolras was already caught.  "Would you take us there tonight?  Now?  To see the weapons, I mean," continued Enjolras.

"Of course, I'm in charge of all of the soldiers on shift in the underground.  They know that I am expecting...company...to help me on this case."

Enjolras grabbed a top hat from his closet, concealing his visibly wild blonde hair.  Seeing him do this, I tucked my hair under my cap, once again concealing my identity.

I stared back at Javert, hard.  "Why are you doing this for us?"

"I'm not doing it for you," spat Javert.  "I'm doing it for justice."  And with that, he straightened his cap and led the way out.  

Enjolras pulled me aside quickly and patted his side while giving me an intent look.  My eyes widened as I noticed the outline of a pistol clipped to his belt.  I started to shake my head but one glare from Enjolras made me realize that we really couldn't be too careful.  We had to be prepared, should anything go amiss.