Chapter 9: Courfeyrac

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, FRA FEE!  THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO YOU.

"Golly-sweet-Lord-singin'-Hallelujah, what is goin' on, girl?"

"You better shut up, mister, while you still have a mouth if you keep looking at me that way."

"Girlie, what did I ever do to you?"

"Courf!" shouted Marius, finally catching up to us. He was very out of breath. "This...pant...is my...pant...friend Avenir..."

"Marius! Chasing after girls?!  You should have invited me!"

"Shut up, Courf! Drop the tomcat mannerisms and get your head back into the game! We just came from seeing Lamarque, Courf, and he knows Avenir!" Marius was putting the imminent question in the air – "How?"

Courfeyrac's demeanor changed instantly. "You mean she's...one of us now?"

"Only if Enjolras permits it," I cracked a joke.

Courfeyrac's face lit up. He thought he understood the joke, but actually, he didn't. "I love her already! Has Enjolras met her yet?"

"Yes, Enjolras met her," I said. "We're...family friends."

"Girrrrrrrlllllllfriend?" purred Courfeyrac.

"Really? Do you think Enjolras would give me the time of day?"

"No," said both Courfeyrac and Marius at the same time.

"Ok, so now that it's clear, I am not here to find love, Courfeyrac. I'm here to change the world and bring down the monarchy. But I do want a friend, Courfeyrac. No more flirts, just teasing. And we'll get along fine."

Courfeyrac nodded. "Point taken. Nice to meet you, Avenir. But why the lecture?"

"Because you're going to be stuck with her. She has nowhere else to stay, so she's staying at our apartment." 

 I love Marius.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hospital where Lamarque was located was steps away from the Bastille elephant, which we passed, and I looked up at in awe. I was heartbroken that I could not ask where Gavroche was, because Marius and I had agreed that we would keep my abilities a secret from Courfeyrac. He couldn't know that I knew anyone other than my "family friend" Enjolras.  And I hated it.  I tried sending meaningful glances at Marius, but he just look at me, confused. I mouthed, "Later."

We had to cross the River Seine to reach their apartment, which stood about 40 minutes away from the Bastille. I was excited to learn from Courfeyrac that he lived in view of the Café Musain. I would be seeing it for the first time in 1832, and perhaps it would hold some answers.

  I would be seeing it for the first time in 1832, and perhaps it would hold some answers