Chapter 24: A Goodbye

"You can count on me," said Grantaire, raising a firm hand

"No. Grantaire, I cannot let you do that, you would be far too suspicious," replied Enjolras, growing agitated.

Javert had left us that night, with a tip of his hat (and with our endless gratitude) at the Café Musain. Enjolras and I had just pulled an all-nighter, planning the next stages of what our "apprentice" - ok, I'll call it like it is, our spy would be doing. They'd have to still be able to turn on Javert on a moment's notice, because even if we did have to place all our trust in Javert for the time being, he could be leading us into a trap.

However, sending in one of our own to steal the ammunition...it was the only way to win, to smuggle out the weapons under the National Guard's nose.

So now here we were. Enjolras had called an emergency meeting the next night. We asked for volunteers, and Grantaire immediately responded.

"Why not?" asked Grantaire. "They'll never suspect such a big brain lies beneath these gorgeous curls," he said, fingering his own curls but staring pointedly at Enjolras.

"I won't have it," said Enjolras, ignoring the flirt. "It would need to be someone who knows the police system...someone who can predict their actions before they perform them."

"I will go."

I spun around in horror to look at my brother, who had just stood.

"Jehan, no..." I begged, hurrying to his side. "Brother, please. You only have two months left. I want to spend as much time with you as possible."

"Remember what this is about," Jehan replied, taking my hands in his

"Remember what this is about," Jehan replied, taking my hands in his. "What I want most is to not have died in vain. I have a good feeling about this. I am going to die anyway, we both know this, because I have already died in the future. There will be no future unless we make sacrifices, and with my knowledge from Marseilles? We can do this, Avenir, we can successfully smuggle out the ammunition without being caught."

"I don't want to lose you..."

"You never will. Nothing can save me now, sister. But someone needs you now, more than ever," he said, and I bowed my head.