Chapter 15: Inevitable

Trigger warning: Flashback to introduction where her brother died.

This was a hard one to write...

Also, bold is Enjolras POV...

I can't wait to write something happier :)

Solemn morning after the barricade to you all <3

~Vive La France~

We finally broke apart the hug, I nodded sheepishly, and we continued onward.  We reached his apartment, about a three or four minute walk away from the Musain, and I quickly noticed it was tucked next to a library. As Enjolras opened the door, I smiled as I peered in the window of the adjoining library, and I glimpsed a view of rows upon rows of old books. I smiled at the thought of Enjolras and me browsing the rows, once things calmed down enough that we would have free time to spare...

The apartment was on the second floor of the building (just as Courfeyrac's was), however it was much smaller than Courfeyrac's, about half the size - room for one. There was a mattress on the floor in one corner, a desk in another.  

He slept on the floor?  

The floor was riddled with books, torn-up speeches, and other pamphlets. Candle wax was strewn all over – on the walls, the floor – and the books. Oh boy, were there ever so many books dog-eared, left open, dangling dangerously off of his desk.

Enjolras lit a few candles for light, and I stared.

The whole room was a mess.

"So, the mighty Enjolras needs some help tidying, I see?" I teased.

He scowled. "Rather, a rephrasing of what you have just stated is in order – by splitting my time for the past few weeks between here and the Musain, my mind has been on other things. Ever since Lamarque –" he stopped.  Clenched his jaw.

"I need to be completely honest with you, Enjolras, as I have been from the very start. 

 Lamarque – doesn't have cholera."

"What are you saying?" growled Enjolras.

"I am saying what Lamarque himself told me – that he also has my abilities. To time travel, I mean.  Lamarque and Jehan Prouvaire are two amongst us who share my ability – they just keep it quiet. Jehan in particular wouldn't be happy that I am saying this to you.  Well, I am telling you now, because you need to hear it. I am telling you now because of what it could mean for our future. Lamarque sacrificed his own life so that we had a chance. Because he saw that we would fail at the revolution. So he –"

"Brought you to me," said Enjolras.

"I –"

"He sent you to me."

"He made it so I was able to be here, yes, but that has nothing to do –"

"And Jean Prouvaire? Is the same way?" continued Enjolras, staring straight at me and ignoring my flusterings.

"Yes, he has my abilities too."

"So you are both going to die."

"No, Enjolras!  Why would you think that?"

"Avenir, you just stated the highly unlikely, which is that Lamarque has sacrificed his own life in the future for our cause. Who is to say you haven't done the same?"

"I – I haven't, not to my knowledge."

"Not to your knowledge. How would your past self know what you have done in the future?"