Chapter 6: Javert's Past

Trigger warning: His past is pretty disturbing, there's a death involved.  Some slightly more adult themes.

A/N:

I know the events in this chapter go extremely fast; I wanted this part to seem like a whirlwind of events.  Things will slow down a lot in the next chapter, and our boys will be there.  :)

Also, this entire story is told from Avenir's point of view.  If you're still confused about how Javert can be so mean to her when he literally saved her life before, remember they're in the past and he hasn't saved her at this point in time.  Also if Javert's past is confusing, that's because Avenir is still confused about it too.  We only get to see events happen through her eyes (well...until later teehee :D).  I'll stop confusing you more and let you enjoy the chapter!

~Vive La France!~

Javert continued forward, slowly making his way closer, closer, until he loomed over me

Javert continued forward, slowly making his way closer, closer, until he loomed over me. He brought his face down to mine until it was inches away, his cold blue eyes boring into my soul. Then, in a voice so low I could barely tell that he had even spoken, his teeth clenched, he spoke:

"Just what are you playing at?"

Javert was attempting interrogate me. 

I refused to cower. Standing straight up, chin raised, I refused to break eye contact. "Sir, what I am about to tell you is the truth, and only the truth. I beg that you listen to me now.

I do not know why I am here, much as I don't know why you were there" – here I was referring to the barricades I had just left – "but I do know one thing, and that is that I am here for a reason. I am from the future, Javert." He stared down at me and I stared back, refusing to break eye contact with his cold, icy stare.

His glare turned into a look of concern, then fear. He was afraid of me.

For you see, you can't lie to Javert. He knew I was telling him the truth.

I decided to risk telling him something I maybe shouldn't have said, just to try to get him to believe me.

"I know about prisoner 24601, inspector. I can help you. I am telling you the truth. I come from the future."

I wouldn't normally imagine Javert becoming surprised, but the look he gave me was a look of utter shock. What started out as a slight joke was now getting real. He believed me.

But I could use this to my advantage...I wouldn't expose Valjean at all, I'd just see how much Javert knew.

"How long have you been looking for him?"

"I see how your mind works," Javert commented. "Very quick at assessing situations and people. You'd make a fine inspector."

One can never tell if Javert is using sarcasm or not. So I just rolled with it. I repeated my question.