chapter I4

five minutes earlier

❩❨

SHE AWOKE TO the sound of screaming.

Her sleep had been undisturbed enough —the nightmares were beginning to come less frequently. They were thankfully not about her parents or Joshua Walker, but that didn't make them any less scarring. That didn't make her wake up in any less of a cold sweat.

Her recent dreams had been more centred around finding herself out on the street again. She supposed that no matter how much she suppressed it, the thought of being kicked out never left. Purple was no exception, regardless of any promises that had been made.

Her own parents had done it, and they had had legal obligations to look after her.

Purple was being understanding and sweet for the time being, but Georgia would not let her guard down. She would not let herself trust anyone too completely, just in case they would not last in her life.

She wondered if she would always be so on edge.

Right then, though, Georgia had to think about the screaming. She had to push her thoughts aside, and concern herself with her generous carer's safety.

The shriek from the front-of-house had been such a jarring sound that Georgia yelled herself as she shot up inside of her sleeping bag.

Her first thought was that it was Purple.