chapter 33

MY FIRST MOVE was getting a mouthful of dirt

Fuirus dodged my charge and let me trip over the force of my own momentum. I laid there for a full second before scrambling to my feet.

He was ready for me as I then cautiously walked towards him instead. Even though his fire should not burn me, his abilities were as unpredictable on me as the Elf who had come to my shop with shadow magic. If I was not careful, his fire might destroy me, too.

"What are you going to counter my magic with, little Dreamcatcher?" Fuirus taunted. "I have duelled with those who use ice magic. And they have lost."

"I do possess ice magic," I admitted. "But I already knew that it would not work on you."

"You have that much in the ways of strategy, then," he grinned, the flames dancing in the breeze. Then he suddenly thrust his hand outward towards me, and a line of fire followed.

I dropped to my knees, missing it by a few inches.

The next blast was directed at my legs.

I leapt into the air, springing backwards and arching until I landed with my back facing away from the Elf. I heard a growl as confirmation that Fuirus was becoming frustrated. His magic had not yet landed a hit.

I whipped around in time to sidestep a ball of fire.

Adam and Georgia were holding their breath.

Knott had stopped screaming, and was watching the duel in a mixture of shock and awe. I recalled her previous words at the first mention of all of this.