Risk worthy

{ TK POV}

* TK has been at work for 3 hours already*

I walked into the kitchen to get some coffee to keep me awake I can't do it on my own anymore. Since it has been a slow morning I haven't had the adrenaline rush that usually forces me awake first thing in the morning. Slow days are good because that means no one is getting hurt, so the good always out weighs the bad.

When Paul my co-worker walks into the kitchen, I smile at him and move away from the coffee maker. Were both on low battery today it seems , we don't usually have down time like this. I can see the bags under his eyes, which comforts me to know I'm not the only one who didn't sleep well.

Paul: Hey kid , how'd you sleep?

TK: From the bags under both of our eyes , it look likes we slept the same amount of time.

Judd: Well that was just y'all, I had a great nights sleep. What kept you guys up?

I looked at Paul who was rolling his eyes at Judd , I just smirked and said "your mom" . Judd flipped me off and walked out laughing. I washed my mug and went to find my dad. When I saw he wasn't in his office I went into the golf room , because where else would he be if not his office on a day like this? Playing golf . If you know my dad that is his third love. Me being his first and being a firefighter second obviously.

Him talking with Michelle made me do a double take though. I never expected them to get along after their first time meeting at an accident and the few words they exchanged. Glad they both came around it was all for the better good anyways. No time to hold grudges with your co-workers doing any job in the field of helping you all have to work as one , because that is the only way you can save everyone or save as many people as you can.

Suddenly the siren call went off, our bodies moved on auto-pilot as we jumped into action . Relaxation over I thought as I ran to the middle of the truck where we all sat on the way to calls. I put my headphones on, and look over as all my team starts putting their gear on , not knowing how long before we would get to the accident. We hear my dad talking through the headphones , he says were 5 minutes out . When we get to the site , I see my dad and a cop meet each other in front of the crowd of witnesses. He was cute, surprised I'm thinking about hooking up with a police officer , It's almost like bro code. Stupid I know, but he was... attractive to say the least. Even though I shouldn't being saying anything like that while I'm supposed to be saving a life.

While the cop was talking to my dad a women started yelling "I have a gun stay back , I will f*cking shoot" . Then I hear my dad yell " Officer Reyes watch out 12 o'clock!". He turns around with his hand on his gun telling the women to calm down. He starts slowly walking towards her , while he tenses you can see the women visibly relax. "This women is crazy" said Mateo. I gave him a sharp nod still focusing on the cop , waiting to see what would happen. He asked the women to come into the building with her. She said she wanted no guns and no one but her and him. That worried me , she seemed mentally ill. I wouldn't trust it but , of course we really have to throw our trust out of the window when working with mentally ill patients. He puts his gun in his holster and takes his entire belt of weapons off.

I was left slack jawed at what he was doing. He wants to make her as comfortable as possible. The thing about mentally ill patients is that they need to trust who they are talking to so that you can get what you need out of them. My dad snaps me back to reality telling us to go around the back, an employee gave us an emergency key and we were able to get their without a hassle , all of us weren't able to go in it was a very small emergency exit so only me and Mateo were able to fit. I turned and nodded my head towards my dad when we both got in .

I was able to see him through the window , I knew he was worried but this is my job I have been doing this for almost 15 years. I'll be alright with one mentally ill patient.

We move up the stairs slowly once we see they aren't on the first floor. "Ain't this some money heist type sh*t" Mateo whispered. I furrowed my brows at his back since he was in front of me. He had completely stopped moving after what he said and I brushed past him to see what he was looking at that made him speechless.

As I looked around his shoulder , I saw what he was seeing and I made eye contact with the same cop, now I know as officer Reyes. I gave him a quick once over seeing as he was not hurt. I contacted captain and said he was fine, figuratively and literally...

Anyways, along with him were 12 other cops that have been missing for almost a month. I started slowly walking towards them just in case the floors are weak , I don't want the women to hear anyone moving and get the officers in trouble. Mateo starts from the other end which leaves me to talk to officer Reyes.

I try to get Mateo's attention and ask him to switch but he's already writing down some things from the women at the other end of the line. I'm not usually this excited and jittery to ask someone questions but he's hot.

I move towards him and when I'm about 5 ft away from getting to him , he shakes his head. I tilt my head sideways wondering why he told me not to come towards him. I take a look around looking for context clues as to why he wouldn't want me coming closer to him.

I look behind him and diagonally sits the women who captured him, whistling and reloading her gun while wiping it down as well , almost like a baby girl takes care of her first baby doll.

It was sobering seeing her being so calm, it reminded me why I'm here , I look back at officer Reyes. Asking him with my eyes what I should do , he moves his head towards the window , I look at the window and there is my dad and team with 6 cops standing with them.

I signal Mateo to keep getting notes but to skip officer Reyes , when he gets close enough I ask him to go back down the stairs and pull the emergency fire alarm , afterwards he will signal the busting of the windows with ropes , the fire fighters will climb up the rope and a few EMT's that will bring sedatives to calm down the patient , as well as 2 cops who will be armed .

The room she is doesn't have any windows so she won't know what's happening until everyone is already formed a barrier around her. What am I going to do? I'm going to be a distraction of course, doing what I do best.

While Mateo heads for the stairs I yell "FIRE, TAKE COVER!"

She comes out right on cue when the windows shatter and all of our back up quickly files in. I make a mental note to thank each one of them one of them face to face when all of this is over. We walked into a month long case and didn't even know it. So much for a relaxing day right?

She looks between me and the barrier they have , I should have known something would go out of order in the plan. I just wish it would have been Mateo tripping or something , not getting held at gun point. Now that is a first.

Their was a gap in the barrier that led straight through to me , I was turned around trying to get officer Reyes out of his zip ties when she pulled me into a choke hold from behind with the gun to my right temple.

{A/N: how was it?? I promise I will do another chapter today , I won't leave you guys hanging much love

Follow me on here to get a notification when I upload a chapter

-xo,steph