Chapter 7: The Case of Poison Ivy

"Realisation is nothing new to be acquired. It is already there, but obstructed by a screen of thoughts. All our attempts are directed to lifting this screen and then realisation is revealed," 
~ Ramana Maharshi

Four hours are borderline uselessly spent frequenting bars, casinos, clubs and restaurants for any hint as to where the new location for the militia worthy assemblage of weaponry is being housed. Evidently, after last night's antics, Roman Sionis has kept the new location entirely undisclosed, even amongst his own men, who are no strangers to loose lips after a few drinks and gentle smiles from pretty women. Evangeline rarely directly approached them of course, mindful of her now notorious existence, however, it truly is remarkable how the women of Gotham are willing to step up and aid one another in such endeavours sometimes, only requiring a single marginally inebriated yet friendly conversation to grow acquainted, and then occasionally a couple of free drinks to persuade them to carefully prod at fatigued and intoxicated, but relatively level headed – determined by a brief, vigilant assessment – mob men.

The private investigator is nearly convinced to call it a night, for even Barbara Gordon, has yet to unearth any information or location of import, when she elects to pay one more destination a visit, despite the danger in doing so.

Evangeline Winter has not returned to the Iceberg Lounge since her meeting with the crime families three months' prior, Edward and her preferring to frequent less prominent locations on the off occasion they desire to chat over a few drinks. It seems Mr Cobblepot's establishment is a figurative 'Switzerland' of sorts, a neutral party residence where no violent business may be acted upon whilst on the premises, similar to the concept of the Continental in the John Wick series. Regardless of the fact that it is expected of Black Mask to not actively murder her on the off chance he is in the lounge when she arrives, that does not mean he won't do so after, or if he'll even obey Mr Cobblepot's rules. The Joker apparently did not on one occasion, and as a result, has not been permitted entry again since.

Of course, this invitation is seemingly not extended to his – now-former, likely not for long – girlfriend Miss Harley Quinn, whom Eve is quick to spot upon entering the private recesses of the establishment, sat at a table with Pamela Isley in the left corner. For reasons unknown, the PI is apparently on the list of individuals permitted access to the less public part of the lounge. The first time she was here, it was because Ed had guided her to the back, and any accompaniment of a Rogue is sanctioned entry by default, and the second time she was here, she was expected, extended an invitation by the various ethnic mafia families. Yet here she is, without an infamous criminal by her side, or an invite, and is nonetheless promptly allowed to the private sector. Eve has even yet to meet the owner of the Iceberg Lounge himself, the notorious Penguin, Oswald Cobblepot, but he has seemingly deemed her acceptable enough to socialize with the criminal elite and muscle. Perhaps Edward's doing, the PI surmises, strolling amongst the velvet lounges.

Lavish, indulgent, intoxicating, daunting. The atmosphere of the parlour has not lessened in severity in regards to these aspects since her first visit here, which, in a way, is helpful to the Southerner. The day she grows accustomed and comfortable with a place like this, is the day she'll need to re-evaluate why she finds comfort amongst the dangerous, the deplorable, the unknown. If I'm being wholeheartedly honest, that day is not entirely too far away either, she restlessly realises.

Finding comfort with someone like Edward is already making her question how much she has changed within this city the past eight months, though the past four – since the death of Alexandra Markovic and Sean O'Reilly – have really been the key months that have shaped her, offering her a newfound confidence and life Eve has never felt before. Her unidentifiable, uncertain affections for Bruce, whilst convoluted, don't clash with her morals and compel her to question herself. Harvey and Two Face, however...