Chapter 2: Gravedigger

"Smile, because it confuses people. Smile, because it is easier than explaining what is killing you inside." ~ Joker

Evangeline Winter has long since pondered if she should even bother with the locks latched upon her front door, for despite the security company they were purchased from being fairly reputable and reliable, the repertoire of regulars that make a habit of flippantly trespassing upon her humble abode have persistently proven the futility of such security measures. This thought, along with numerous others born from the incident earlier that night, presently box one another in the ring within the private investigator's head, some thoughts – such as how she very nearly died – beating other more menial musings into the corner – a prime example would be the lock speculation.

The split in the left corner of her lip stings whenever she pulls her mouth too hard. But, she expostulates with herself, I could have come out of that altercation a lot more worse for wear should it not have been for Kevin and Dante – and, in turn, Two Face.

What a peculiar thing it is to feel indebted to a super criminal. Now Harvey Dent; Harvey Dent she could understand. Mr Dent's capacity for sympathy and differentiating right and wrong has endured all these years, the ex-DA exhibiting this capacity for mercy on scarce occasions. Harvey Dent, in simple terms, is the good cop. He represents the unblemished side of their coin. The side that could potentially result in clemency and absolution. The side where you just may not be harmed.

But Two Face? He, in the same simple terms, is the bad cop. The blemished side of the coin. The side where he is granted permission by chance and chance alone to do however as he pleases with you and your fate. The side where you shall certainly be harmed.

Eve has heard of the possessiveness of the egocentric crime lords in this city. Whether it's over land, money, businesses or women. But what wild fantasy or inexplicit act gave Two Face the absurd, nonsensical notion that she belonged to him?

The private investigator shares these thoughts with Edward Nygma as she tends to him and Dr Crane, only after listening to their own wild, eventful recount of their daring escape of Arkham Asylum. Apparently, it isn't the first time the two masterminds have joint forces to abscond the dreary, monotonous, life-leeching confines of the insane asylum, and likely won't be the last. Edward Nygma and Jonathan Crane are formidable on their own, but together, when they aren't taking cheap, eloquently worded shots at one another, they are a fiendish nightmare that plagues the city in an amalgamation of devilish technology and paralysing fear.

Edward has come to be someone she could nearly classify as a friend, and Evangeline doesn't have many of those. They will always hold a difference of opinion, always be at odds when it comes to the law and morality, but just like the Dark Knight allows the crimes of the notorious Catwoman to slip under his radar in turn for information within the criminal underworld, Eve has refrained from turning the enigmatic villain in, in which Edward has repaid her through updates of the present happenings amongst the super criminals. And amidst this partnership, they have even grown to enjoy the company of one another.

Jonathan Crane, however, would evidently rather be anywhere but in the private investigator's company.

"Roman Sionis is an impulsive mud monkey with a temper that has resulted in the fall of his own empire several times over," the Riddler loftily states, texting away on Eve's phone now that the North Carolinian has patched him up. Not even glimpsing up from the screen, he takes a tentative sip of the freshly brewed cup of coffee from where he homily stands in the kitchen, conversing with Eve who is finishing up with bandaging Dr Crane in the living room.

"It has mentally compromised the mobster and rendered him paranoid. If anyone so much as proves as the slightest threat against him, he exterminates them by breakfast the next morning. The only opposition still around that has withstood his heedless temperament is Dent, who, when he isn't arguing with himself, is deceptively sharp and intuitive. For Harvey – or should I say Two Face – to invest in your well-being and safety, is a power move against Sionis. Not only does it slight him, but now, you're indebted to them, whether you like it or not."