Chapter 1: Dangerous Woman

"The ones who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do," ~Steve Jobs

NOW – WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 18th, 2016 – GCPD, GOTHAM CITY

          "For the last time, no."

          Eve huffs her exasperation, but can't find it in her to menacingly glare at the city's stubborn police Commissioner. He's a good man with his morals in the right places, which is a rarity in itself to find in this century, let alone Gotham City.

          She indelicately plops herself in the fraying leather chair on the other side of Jim Gordon, her perfectly manicured, French tip nails drumming incessantly on the worn arm rest. "Jim, you are fully aware that I wouldn't partake in such dangerous endeavours that quite obviously fall under the jurisdiction of the police force and even the Batman himself. But I was there Jim. I heard practically everything. I've been helping you with a handful of your cases covertly for the past four months, and you yourself admitted that my help has made an effective difference in how efficiently and quickly you've been closing cases—"

          "Those have been low profile cases Miss Winter," Gordon tiredly persists, stirring the milk into the freshly brewed cups of coffee. "Affairs, petty thefts, arrogant kids trying to make a name for themselves... this is the mob we're talking about Eve, and not just out of line henchmen, we're talking the heads of the biggest crime families in Gotham about to break into all out war. Batman himself is going to have his hands full with trying to lessen the damage, on top of keeping the criminally insane in line. I mean no offence when I say this, because I do believe you are an extraordinarily smart woman, but what hopes do you have?"

          Eve finds no offence in his query, fully knowing that it is merely an essential and plausible question. She is, after all, one woman. One woman who may be a private detective/investigator, but she's not a black clad vigilante with hundreds of nifty, high tech toys and cars with several different forms of martial arts under his heavy belt, nor is she an entire police force with legal jurisdiction to arrest and take action against some of the most influential and dangerous men in the city. But she is tactical, and she is smart. Can't aim a gun for the life of her, but intelligence has proven to prevail over brawn before. People like the Riddler and Scarecrow have shown her that.

          "You said it yourself; he's got his hands full with the Rogue's gallery as it is. If I can take the mafia off his plate, then I will." Eve notices Gordon's mouth part to interject, but she doesn't allow him the chance. "I'm not going to lie Gordon, I'm terrified out of my wits. I could be sleeping with the fishes before I even dig up the truth about which side truly instigated the mob war. I'll be damned if I sit by and do nothing though Jim. I will not let innocent people die in the crossfire between a few pissy families who have clearly spent too much time on their high perches to realize that the world does not revolve or bow down to them. I can't nor won't do this without your permission, but please consider it before blatantly shooting the idea down."

          Gordon's deep sea eyes latch onto Eve's entrancing hazel ones as he passes her the mug of coffee. He doesn't want to admit it, but a part of him doesn't want to allow Eve to partake in this case purely because he has grown attached to the woman over the four months they have been collaborating together. It is selfish of him, he realizes, but he has come to care for the thirty four year old North Carolinian. She is a breath of fresh air in the polluted city of Gotham, one of the unique diamonds in an almost infinite rough.

          She isn't corrupt. Tarnished. Selfish. Heck, just the other week when she thought no one was looking Jim spotted her offering a convicted murderer and arsonist a warm cup of coffee. Near ninety percent of this precinct would rather spit in the criminal's face or even put a bullet in his head for what he's done, but there she was, sitting next to him and politely conversing with him after making him a cup of Joe with an near angelic smile upon her face. What surprised Jim the most though, was the fact that the man was being just as kind and amiable back, his crooked, stained teeth widening into a hospitable grin.