Chapter 7

Stiles sat on the grass, looking up at the moonless sky. He wasn't supposed to be there; Stiles wasn't allowed outside of his room without Chase. But Chase left the door unlocked, without a guard, if Stiles knew his way around better, he would have made a run for it. But, Stiles only ever went from his room to the observatory or the dining hall. Stiles knew he would be scolded for being here, but he was comfortable here, not in his stuffy room.

Who are you?

Standing to his feet, Stiles turned, trying to find the voice. Or he thought it was a voice. Being here so long, Stiles swears that he's going crazy, like every little thing around him feels so different than what it ever used too.

Why are you here?

"Hello? Who's there?" Stiles asked. He scanned the trees, trying to see someone or something. A small fawn walked out from behind a tree, making its way to Stiles and pressing its nose into the palm of his hand. "That surely wasn't you. I really must be going crazy." Stiles ran his hand down the fawns back.

They like you too.

"Okay, Chase? What is this? Did you mean to leave the door unlocked just to fuck with me? Seriously? This isn't funny." Stiles snapped. He was tired of being in this place as it was, Stiles did not want to deal with some practical jokes.

"Why are you here?" Stiles heard again, but this time, a girl was standing in the tree line, half-hidden behind a tree.

"Who are you? Why are you here?" Stiles shot back. He'd never seen a girl in the Valentine pack, only a glimpse of one. It was her, the girl that Chase never spoke about, that no one did.

"I am Emberly; I am here for my protection." The girl said, stepping out from behind the tree.

"I am Stiles, and I am here against my own will." Stiles rolled his eyes. "Who's protecting you? Why?"

"Chase is my brother. He has always protected me." Stiles was shocked; this girl was no older than 16, Chase looked to be in his early 30's. It's not unheard of, but Stiles felt like it wasn't adding us.

"How old are you?" Stiles questioned.

"I am 29. How old are you?"

"Yeah, and I'm 80." Stiles laughed. Emberly didn't look amused; once again, Stiles rolled his eyes, becoming severe. "I'm 20, and I'm sorry, but werewolves still age, so how do you look 16?"

"I am no werewolf. Though I should be." Emberly looked down at the small pond.

"Then, what are you? I know you aren't human." Stiles pressed.

"Of course a Shepherd would know. Well, you should have a feeling at least, they haven't told you anything, so you don't know." Emberly faced Stiles looking to the sky. "I am a Pheonix."

Stiles watched as first her eyes glow like fire than the rest of her body began to engulf itself in flames.