Chapter 21

"You stupid humans!" The Shepherd screamed, slamming his hand into the invisible barrier surrounding him. Derek glared at the siblings on the other side of the barrier; he wasn't all too shocked that Chase had done this.

"Derek, this is your chance!" Emberly yelled at the Alpha, "he can't run! Save him!"

Derek growled; she was right. This was his only chance. He was out of options and time, granted he didn't have any in the first place. Derek knew what he had to do; he only prayed that it would work. "Forgive me, Stiles," Derek whispered, running at the still distracted Shepherd. Derek grabbed the Shepherd holding his hands down and biting down on its shoulder, causing it to scream.

The Shepherd fought, kicking and screaming until it could finally push Derek to the ground, clutching at its shoulder. "What have you done?!" It called falling to the ground on its hands and knees.

Derek looked at the Shepherd with pained eyes; it wasn't exactly pleasant for him either. He's just marked his mate, only enough to be able to begin the mate bond. Derek only started the first step, allowing him to get into Stiles' head; this was his only chance of bringing Stiles back. Werewolf mating has many stages, there is always a bond between mates, but the unique qualities of the mating begin when the mates mark each other, allowing them to be able to speak with each other through their minds. Derek being an Alpha allows his connection to his mate to run more profound than a regular werewolf.

Derek grabbed ahold of the Shepherd, pinning it to the ground in its shocked state, and forced them both into Stile's head. Derek wasn't sure what he'd find, but he could only pray that he'd find a small piece of Stiles, just enough to bring him back.

Ω∆Ω

It was dark and far too quiet for what Derek ever pictured the inside of Stiles' head to feel like. But he knew that this wasn't Stiles, it was the Shepherd, and Derek was running out of time to bring Stiles back. So he swam through the abyss, catching glimpses at memories the Shepherd held. Derek was shocked at how recent some of them were; it looked that the last of the Shepherds didn't die off as far back as everyone had thought.

"He must be marked now! Before it is too late!" A familiar voice shouted, catching Derek's attention. He stopped watching the memory that presented itself.

"Seth, you can't do this. You will lose everything if you do," This voice was unfamiliar to Derek, but hints of it lingered in the voice that came from the Shepherd.

"And if I don't, we will all die. You've been found out, and people are after you. If you don't pass on the mark now, he'll never be able to understand himself later on." Derek had nearly forgotten how his uncle Seth looked until seeing him here. Seth honestly looked nothing like the rest of his family, but that never meant that he wasn't family. Derek was still trying to piece together who the woman was with him; he had no memory of her. "Jade, we can't keep running. You either need to tell my family or pass the mark onto the kid."

"He has a name." Jade snapped.

"I don't care. I love my family, I love Derek like he's my own, but I have to lose you so he can save his mate." Seth fought tears streaming down his face.

"I'm so sorry, my love. But we can't have the spirit take over that child; we have to give him a chance never to have to live this life." Jade pulled Seth into her arms, crying with him.

The memory faded away, and Derek was left with so many more questions.

This update does not mean Shepherd is officially back as my arm is still broken, but I had an idea so I typed his one-handed. Just thought you'd all like an update.