[06]

Life of Jiji

All Rights Reserved

2020 ©Tena Ifiemi

####

ł HΛÐ ТHΞ БΞSТ sleep since I came to Meliora today which was Saturday (we were allowed to sleep until 6:00 whereas other days we were woken up by 5:00)

Yes, its a one hour difference but it means a whole lot, okay?

But Saturday also meant we were going out for a jog round the school and aerobics afterwards. I definitely don't like the sound of that. Call it laziness or whatever you may, I'm slim enough not to want to turn into a sweaty, panting mess because I'm working out. I have every girls dream, the ability to eat and not gain wait. I wasn't skinny exactly, just the normal figure.

Without boobs...

I had to admit, Meliora had very good sporting facilities. Apart from the usual football field, basketball, volley ball, tennis and badminton courts, they had a gym! Like an actual gym! In school!

You think all the boys would be there don't you? You think they'll be lifting weights for six packs? Is that it?

Ha!

And leave football behind?

Please stop it! You're making me laugh.

I heard that there were board games there too and that you could get skipping ropes too. The perfect sports for a girl like me!

####

After sports we had a breakfast of akara and pap or custard. I took custard with my akara since I'm not a big fan of pap. Mide begged me to take pap so that I could give it to him.

I was like, What? And then, I starve don't I? Because I've become a social worker? Giving my food to the poor? Except that Mide had a mountain of pap in his bowl and a hill of akara so he definitely wasn't 'the poor'.

After breakfast, we went back to the hostel for the hostel sanitation. We were supposed to clean our rooms, the toilet, laundry and the corridors just in time for inspection. I envied the Year 12 students at that point because they didn't get to do anything apart from clean their rooms while Year 10 and Year 11 girls cleaned the rest. I'm not going to complain and say its not fair because I'm going to get there one day and enjoy those same-and even more-opportunities. Just after the cleaning had been done, female teachers came into the hostel to 'inspect' it. I was nervous when I heard that the junior and senior hostels are graded according to their cleanliness and the cleanest boys and cleanest girls hostel would be announced at the assembly... leaving the other hostel as the dirtiest, of course.

We were told to stand by our beds and wait for the teachers or sanitation officers as they were called for the time being. Sanitation officers though, really? It sounded too funny from my mouth-calling those casually dressed teachers 'sanitation officers' that is. After waiting for a fairly long while for the teachers to get to our room we gave up and sat lightly on our beds careful not to crease the neatly arranged sheets. Thankfully, we heard the women outside our room so we had time to quickly stand and take our positions before they entered. There were three of them, two of which I didn't know yet and one of which was Ms. Chioma. I smiled when I saw her and she smiled back. After going round the room a few times and writing a few things in their book they told us to open our wardrobes.

"What?!" I don't even know when the word flew out of my mouth, but it did just before my hands came up to cover my mouth. If any of the ladies thought my outburst disrespectful they didn't say anything. Ms. Chioma and the tall woman looked amused while the other looked indifferent.