23. Rememberances

As the weeks went by, Dipper realized Bill was right.

Well...Bill was right about most things, but regarding Gideon's true intentions, it seemed he did like Dipper. Dipper managed to change partners in class, finding someone who knew enough sign language to work with and after seeing Bill, Gideon seemed to back off.

Dipper found school to be surprisingly easier when he had Bill in most of his classes. It was much more bearable when you had someone to pass the time with. Bill often did little doodles in Dipper's notebook while Dipper took notes.

When Dipper would ask why Bill wasn't taking notes he claimed he always remembered what he needed to know, but Dipper often caught Bill looking over Dipper's notes just before big tests. Dipper would complain, but he liked Bill's doodles. Bill was surprisingly good at drawing.

As they sat in class one day, Bill doodling on Dipper's history notes, Dipper wondered something.

What other talents do you have? Just realized I never knew you could draw before now. Dipper asked.

Bill smiled.

"Well, I wouldn't say my doodles are a talent, but...other than that and my incredible fashion sense, not much...I can play piano though." Bill said quietly so the teacher didn't hear.

Really? I always liked the piano. Do you think you could show me? Dipper asked.

"Sure, maybe I can persuade the music teacher to let me use her classroom at lunch," Bill said. Dipper smiled and nodded.

They continued on with class silently, Bill drawing in Dipper's notebook while Dipper took his notes for the rest of the class.

-+-+-+-
Dipper Skipper
-+-+-+-

Eventually, lunch had rolled around, Dipper and Bill made their way to the music classroom and found it empty.

"Well, I guess I can't ask," Bill said, but he proceeded to the piano at the front of the room anyway.

Bill sat down on the bench, uncovering the keys. Dipper pulled up a chair and sat next to the piano.

He began to play and Dipper felt almost instantly completely immersed in the music.

He wasn't quite sure what the song was, but whatever it was, it was beautiful.

Though nothing prepared Dipper for the sound of Bill's voice.

"We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when. But I know we'll meet again some sunny day." Bill sang.

He continued to sing the song, a song Dipper didn't recognize, until it was over.

Dipper didn't register it was over until he noticed Bill staring at the floor, his face red.

"Sorry...guess I got a little too into it..." Bill muttered.

No...it was good. Really good. I didn't know you could sing so well.

"I don't sing often...but that song was always special to me..." Bill said.

When Bill didn't explain, Dipper asked, Why?

"My mom used to sing it to me. Before she died...it was the last thing she ever said to me actually." Bill said. He looked down at the piano.

Dipper put a supportive hand on Bill's. Bill looked up and Dipper mouthed the words, I'm Sorry.

Bill smiled sadly, then leaned over and placed a kiss on the smaller boy's forehead.