josh #3.5

𝐢𝐭 𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐳𝐲, 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐨𝐥𝐝
𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟑 𝐨𝐟 𝐫𝐢𝐛𝐬
× 𝗝𝗮𝘄𝘀𝗵 ×

» [ribs] «
༄ lorde ༄
0:00 ─〇───── 4:19
⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

-ˏˋ 🍦 ˎˊ-

Josh sort of gave up after that night. Y/n had changed, and, possibly, left him behind. He called her once a week for only two weeks before dropping all contact completely. It hurt, yes, but he figured that if this is what she wanted, he wasn't going to disturb it. No matter how much it hurt.

It took Y/n until summer to reach out to her supposed best friend. No apology, no explanation, just an offer.

Y/n
Hey, I'm coming home for a few weeks.
Do you maybe wanna hang out? :)

Josh was caught off guard. After everything that happened and she did, she still wants to be friends? Even with his confusion and hesitation to forgive her, he caved in and offered to pick her up from the airport.

➳➳➳➳➳ 🛬 ➳➳➳➳➳

Josh waits in the airport, hoping to see the Y/n that he had left at this same airport nearly a year ago. They had the whole day together, and Josh didn't want to spend it with whoever that college changed her into. Over the intercom, it is announced that her flight has landed. Josh leans from one foot to the other, nervously shuffling as he waits for Y/n's face to appear in the crowd. All at once, he sees her. Longer and lighter hair, a slight bit more makeup, painted nails, but her clothes are the same. Black, ripped skinny jeans, a band t-shirt, and Vans.

Maybe she isn't really that different?

"Josh!" She exclaims, making a dash for the boy. A smile, similarly, appears on his face as she flies into his arms and they share a long awaited hug. He can already tell by her vibe that she isn't as different as he'd thought. Her personality, clearly, is the same. "I missed you so much." Her mumbles into his shoulder melts his heart. That's Y/n.

➳➳➳➳➳ 🏞 ➳➳➳➳➳

Josh has had this day planned out since she'd left. Actually, he's had this idea since she broke the news to him that she'd be leaving. As cheesy and predictable as it is, he chose to take her to all of their childhood staples. Starting, of course, with Mirror Lake. A stupid name, but a gorgeous swimming hole that every teenager around the area hangs out at on the weekends and drinks themselves silly. Y/n and Josh, however, always chose the more tame ventures, like rock skipping and pushing each other in the water during any weather. They didn't have much sympathy for the other's warmth.

Josh lifts a flat rock from the ground covered in ones like it. He turns around to glance at the h/c. She looks from the rocky ground to Josh's eyes. She gives him a soft smile before her turns and proceeds to skip said rock three times. "Impressive." Y/n sneers from behind. "But I'll bet you five bucks that I can do better." Ah, yes. The classic one up betting. Another pastime the two took part in heavily.

"You can try." Josh rolls his eyes sarcastically as the girl scouts out and takes a generally-sized rock into her fist. She smirks. "Oh, I don't need to try."

There she is.

She walks to the edge of the wide pond tossing the rock, effortlessly watching it skip five times. "You've been practicing?" She spins around with a smile. "There's a lake not far from campus; studying gets boring and my room gets claustrophobic." She shrugs and crunches the rocks under her feet as she walks past Josh.