06 - Chapter Six - Zev Martin's Point Of View.

It wasn't until we were in the car and almost back to the housing complex that Jackson spoke again. He seemed to be holding on to that folder still. He didn't say anything special just that he was going to take me back to his area and then he had about a half-hour of work left to do. I tried to pretend that after he helped me bring my books to his area that when he left he did have that folder in his hand. Rubbing my forehead I wanted to tell him to just throw the damn folder out and forget about whatever he had read. But there was no way he was ever going to just do that.

I made the mistake of following after him, a few moments after him. I overheard him discussing the contents of my file with a few other voices I could pretty much identify.

"Does Dr.Martin know what you doing?" I heard Cade say.

I felt someone creep up behind me and looked to see it was Maddox, Well fuck. He lightly pushed me into the room with him now.

"The good doctor is aware now."

They all looked at me. Alexi, Andrei, Cade and Jackson. I found myself annoyed with the fact my files were laid open on the top of the desk photos and papers spread out for anyone to see.

"I'm annoyed. Very much so." I announced. Walking over the desk and quickly shoving the photos and papers back into the file, I tried to take the thing with me when I left the room. But Maddox snatched the file clean out of my hand.

"Please give that---"
"I want to know what has all my underbosses so intently talking, so I'm going to have a detailed look."
"Maddox these are my personal files and----"
"Close your mouth Zev, I'm trying to read."

I was growing angrier by the minute. Standing there my hands clenched and grinding my teeth, I heavily debated snatching that open file out of his hand. I watched his face darken with every flip of another paper. He seemed to have reached the evidence section of the file where the photos of weapons, wounds and everything else were documented. My mouth was dry when he set down the file and looked at me his eyes full of anger and hate.

"Alexi please take Dr.Martin back home, to Jackson, well we discuss dealing with current issues."
"Got it."

My eyes widened as what Maddox said started to register in my mind.

"No! Leave him alone!"

Alexi's hand rested on my underarm as he tried to pull me from the room without using much of his strength.

"Maddox damn you! Leave him alone! He's serving his time! He is being good!"

That seemed to chill the room instantly as Maddox threw pictures, they landed at my feet. Photos of everything he hit, sliced and wounded me with, along with the outcome of every single weapon. It was horrible to my twenty-two-year-old body so disfigured by him.

"Was this him being good Zev? Was when he tried to slice your throat with a knife him being good? How about when he broke your shoulder? Was that being good? Maybe it was love then?"

My entire body shook in anger at Maddox. Uncontrollable rage resurfaced boiling my very blood. None of that was him being good, but he got the help he needed and actively trying to get his life together. I wasn't justifying what he did, but I also didn't want to see him murdered when he was so close to being released and beginning life again.

The twenty-two-year-old I was then would have been ok with Maddox having this man killed, fuck deep inside parts of me were still ok with that. But I didn't get the play judge, jury and executioner. He was serving his time already and I just wanted to let him be.

Glaring at Maddox, still shaking in anger I spoke.

"I will not solve all my problems with murder, nor will I allow you to harm Nathan Harris, he is serving his time like he is supposed to. He is showing great results and will be a tremendous member of society. Do not lay a hand on him. Don't you dare harm him!"
"Dr. Martin, we are friends but do not mistake that for you being able to tell me what to do in my home, in my space to whoever or whatever I want."
"He is---"
"Alexi remove him from my space now! Take him to Jackson and see he doesn't cause complications."

I didn't get another word in as Alexi hailed me out of the room and down the hall. No matter how much I screamed in anger at Jackson, at Maddox, they didn't hear me or even care to hear me. They only had one thing on their mind. The murder of Nathan Harris.

When we got back to Jackson's part I refused the allow this to happen. I reached for my phone on the table, only to have it taken away from me. Alexi looking more concerned than his normal annoyed face.

"Stop it, just stop, there's nothing you can do Zev. Not a fucking thing. Maddox will leave the decision to have your attacker murdered up to Jackson, as he is the closest thing to a caregiver here for you. Jackson's going to want that man killed and it's going to happen. You need to just accept it."
"No! I refuse to accept that!"
"This is not your safe little outside world, Zev this is the Mafia and this is how we deal with our shit. You signed away your normal life the moment you agreed to work for Maddox, fuck even before that, your normal life was gone the moment you were given to Jackson."
"No! I get a say! I have my----"

Alexi threw me off when he roughly grabbed me and hugged me. His arms held my slightly slender figure against him. And he spoke.

"I'm sorry that you want to protect the man that hurt you, but you can't, not here, not from Maddox, or Jackson."